Sign in to follow this  
catclaw

#@%!& shotgun sights!!

Sorry I can't take it any more :(

Shotguns do not have rear sights they have what is called a Mid Bead

The purpose of the Mid bead is when a person brings up the shotgun when they view down the barrel or Rib that it makes a figure 8..(.this really helps when purchasing a shotgun as you will be able to tell whether that shotgun fits you properly or not)

See target close eyes lift shotgun to aim where you were looking and when you open your eyes you should see your target then see the two beads making a figure 8 aimed at the target

I would almost bet had you just shot before distracting yourself on the beads you probably would have bagged your fox :)

Edit to add unless of course your shooting slug guns...then you will have a rear sight :D

Wow, picking on a guy with a shotgun sight setup. Some folks just get bored I guess.

Keep in mind the below comments are just opinions.

Shooting tight patterns from a tight choke tube can be fine with just a bead sight, however if more precision is desired a front and rear sight setup may be beneficial. This is due to a FIXED rear aperture being more fool-proof than an inconsistent eye placement (like it or not cheek weld, eye placement even at the top level is not as consistent as an object fixed to the gun.)

For examples of precision shotguns NOT FOR wing shooting look at the vast array of police shotguns, turkey shotguns, and slug guns.

Will wing shooting guns do the job….. Yes, but a dedicated tool for a purpose may provide better results.

Another reason that adjustable sights can be a benefit: What if your pattern center is not at point of aim? With sights you can shift point of aim to coincide with the center of the pattern.

Shotguns tend to be fickle and different with where the pattern contacts the target but the bead placement is rarely adjusted to correct this problem (even on wing shooting guns, go on, go pattern your gun.. ..itll be an eye opener as to where it impacts as opposed to where your aiming). The big producers of these guns dont take the time to test the P.O.I., instead they weld or tap the bead where its supposed to be.

Would you purchase a precision rifle that you could not adjust the scope on??

pretty sure the guy was saying he was distracted by the sight being broke and that gave the fox time to bolt. everyone has their own way they like things. so if you threw up your shotgut and your front bead was busted off by some wacky reason you would prolly think in yur head...WTF and then shoot anyways giving the critter that split time to bolt! anything from the norm makes you take pause!

just cuz you don't like it doesn't mean it ain't no good!

james

One thing I hate is when people jump all over someones post with negative waves. "I would almost bet had you just shot before distracting yourself on the beads you probably would have bagged your fox" Yep !@#$%^ shotgun sights. All my shotguns have rear sights, either a ramp, or the grooved portion of the top of the receiver.

Wow...Excuse me .

and FYI I am.Not jumping on the guy either...Just making a point from Personal experience how one can actually have better aim then what they think, but psych themselves out of shooting better because something wasn't like it was...maybe next time the OP faced with a similar situation might not miss out with a little more confidence in their own shooting abilities .... What is so wrong with that?:huh: