Sign in to follow this  
Jeremyks

Big Eye Spotting Scope Brackets

Im considering buying one of the following, Doctor 30x,40x,25-50x, Kowa Highlanders, or having two spotting scopes mounted side by side. This will be used for long range glassing. I have looked through 40x and 25-50x doctors and like them but they lack the clarity of my Swarovski 20-60x80 spotter has. Im told the Kowa is better in clarity but I don't like the angled eye pieces for long periods of glassing.

Does anybody have a pair of spotting scopes mounted side by side in brackets? I have been told that it is not the way to go as the collimation is easily knocked out of alignment. I would think with a good quality bracket this would not be a problem? I would really like to go the bracket route but they must be able to take some abuse as they will be bouncing around in a pelican case in the back of Polaris ranger quite a bit.

Anybody have some experience with them?

The Outdoorsman makes a bracket for mounting 2 spotters side by side - pretty pricey. Per someone that has used it makes the tripod prone to tip over due to weight and makes you cuss with a pistol grip, again weight. Per a rumor Vortex is looking to design something similar for their spotters too - wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

I was definitely not a fan of angled eye pieces for along time but after having a nice chair and tripod set up looking though the highlanders was awesome and you can sit and look for hours in total comfort..

so just my 2cents, go for the better glass if you can afford them and dont be worried about the angled if that s the only decision maker. Wish I had more experience with all these side by side.

good luck.

I have not had any personal experience with big eyes, but I have heard that you will drive your self crazy with the continuous adjustments on both eye pieces to get in focus. Just a thought to think about.

just ordered the Docter 20-50x80 HD's. I hope to get them by saturday. I looked at buying 2 swarovskis and getting them mounted together, but that was going to run about 6k. I found a guy that makes the bracket, and the bracket at the Outdoorsman will not work.

Steve

The Docters got here on friday. First reaction was, those are huge. I was hoping to get them out and play, but this weather is killing me. More to come.