Sign in to follow this  
WFGinNM

Tripod Head Maintenance

I have a SLIK 330EZ, it has a SLIK SH-707E head and it has started to hangup while panning up and down. I think that it's finally filled with dust. How do I make it pan smooth again? Any suggestions besides getting a Jim White or Outdoorsman head?

Thanks,

--Bill

try a couple drops of mineral oil

+1 for the mineral oil, I use stuff for sewing machines. Just a drop 'er two.

I have seen that head but dont have the exact one in my hand to tell how to take it a part but if ya can do it, take it down as far as you can and wash up all ur parts. if the mating surfaces look chingered up then dont be afraid to use a light emery cloth to touch em up, but go easy on her, just enough to take off any burrs.

As you said there is the option of just dropin the coin on the ol outdoorsmans.... but they get dirty and hung up to.... they are easier to clean though cause you can just take it back and they will help you get it back to smooth.. you dont pay for just an awesome product you pay for a life time of service and support.

hope ya get it workin.

-sam

Thanks guys, it worked great. I couldn't find any sound way to take it apart so I flushed the moving surfaces with WD40 to displace any dust and grime. Then saturated it with hot water and dawn to get all the WD40 out. Dried it good and worked in the Mineral oil.

--Bill

I would stay away from mineral oil. All oils collect dust. Graphite is completely odorless and it does not collect dust and works fantastic.

I would stay away from mineral oil. All oils collect dust. Graphite is completely odorless and it does not collect dust and works fantastic.

Big +1 on oils and wd40 on your head before long your head will look like a cinnamon donut where you applied the oil .I wipe my parts down with denatured alcohol it evaporates quickly and its completely orderless when dried then apply graphite