Sign in to follow this  
robertramsey61

Looking for a New Scope, need help?

I am in the market to get a new scope for a Tikka 300 Win Mag, I have looked at a few different scopes but just cant make the call. What are some of your opinions on best scope for your money for this gun (I am not a millionaire so I will not be getting a Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss), looking at the Vortex, Nikon, and Minox (I also was going to look into the brand they had at the Elk Banquet but cant remember the name they are located here in the Valley.

Criteria: What I am really looking is a scope with up to 15 power, I would like to have a good reticle so you can have the hold over set, I dont want to spend more they 500 bucks

Looking at the new Vortex Viper HS, The Nikon Monarch, the Minox, and any other brands you can recommend!!

HELP!

I have the older Vortex viper. I really like it. I took off my 1" swaro w/ a TDS reticle and swapped it for the Vortex. Some of the monarchs I like for the money. If it was my 500$, I would look real hard at the Vipers. I know you didnt ask but if you go with a drop compensating reticle, you will probably eventually want to change to turrets. I did. Both take practice to know them really well.

At the Sportsman's warehouse in Tucson last week I saw a Vortex Viper 4-12x40 SF for only $250. Add tax an its around $278 out the door. A phenomenal price on a scope normally at LEAST $300 and usually $400+. If you didn't need the power I'd look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 for around $225 shipped. As good as the viper, but not great eye relief. The Bushnell Elite 4200 and 3200's are being phased out for one conglomerated "Elite" line so sales are going strong. The Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40 AO can also be had for two and a quarter at various places. You loose a bit of LT, but it's still bright and will stand up to .375 H&H recoil.

I have a Nikon Monarch 6.5x24x44 UCC scope that I had mounted for less than a month on a Remington Model 700 BDL in 6.5 RM. I fired fewer than 10 shots with it to sight in the rifle, and then fired one more shot to kill a small mule deer on opening morning. I did not like the scope's thin crosshairs, and replaced it after that hunt with a Redfield 3-9X with a duplex.

My Nikon Monarch scope is like new, and I will sell it and its Weaver-type rings for $400.

Bill Quimby

I might add the Burris Fullfield II in 4-14x42 with their ballistic reticle...very good glass for the money (less than $300) and with a 100 yard zero I have shot good groups to 300 yards using its ballistic reticle and handloads with my Tikka T3 chambered in .270. In my opinion, the glass is every bit as good as the Monarch and some of the Leupolds I own, but the clicks on the Burris knobs don't feel as "positive" as they do on those scopes. Like Bill said above, I had a Monarch on a rifle and replaced it after one hunting season. I'd also suggest upgrading the factory Tikka scope rings to Warne. They run about $50 and will save you a lot of time and heartache when the bolts on your factory Tikka rings strip out :)