bowhuntinmaniac

GAME AND FISH TO CHANGE HUNT STRUCTURES

You know dang good and well those frog watchers are being paid by the tag, license, and application fees. It's a freakin scandal. I believe we are getting too many dungbeetle-n-lillyleaper people in the G&F. GAME AND FISH!!!! READ MY LIPS G&F!!!! It's not the NON-"GAME" and ENDANGERED "FISH". Let the USFWS, heritage fund, tax payers pay for those studies. We ALL live here in AZ, not just the hunters.

Sdr your right about the heritage fund not paying for all the dang frogs and WOLVES!!!!(that are killing the few deer we have left in unit 27)!!! Our Game and Fish Support them, and they pay for as much as they can with the money they are granted/given! My fire in burning BRIGHT as he**!!! This is so unreal, i did not think our dang Game and Fish could or would ever have the nerve to try and screw us sportsmens out of our Hunting!!! And i completley agree with the rest of you, we need to get a DIRECTOR who cares and everyone that has any say so in our hunting as well!!!FOR THE MOST PART NOBODY IN THE GAME AND FISH(Including most wardens) HAVE NOT EVEN A CLUE TO HOW MANY DEER/Elk are really in each unit(but yet they lie to the pubilc, and add numbers to their so called population estimations!!!) I pray and hope to god with all my might that none of this wil pass, and please if you believe in our great Lord,do the same!!! Also as Azonecam said"Please, everyone who feels strongly about this - send emails to the commission, send letters, and get a fire lit under everyone you know who also does not want to see 50-90% of the best hunting opportunities in our state traded for higher draw odds in poor quality hunts" If this goes through they will never cahnge it back again, and hunting in Arizona will be GONE!!! Just keep barking at them, even though most of us know they dont listen!!!! I have been telling them for the last 10 years to change something with the deer, anything, even possibly putting an antler restriction on deer hunts, so the herd is not dimolshed, BUT THEY NEVER EVER LISTENED!!! They managed to find a way to mess the Kiabab hunts up big time already and now they are working on making the rest of the state worse off for hunters then they already have!!!! Please try to attend as many meeting as possible, and play hardball with them!

You cna be sure that with increase in fees and this hunt structure G&F are getting money hungry. You can't tell me that our tag and license fees are not supporting programs like the wolf program. Since they have been introduced are deer tags have fallen in unit 1&27. They have cut elk tags by at least 3000 permits. Sounds like we need to fire all the political figures in the game& fish and return the rights to the hunters who support them. We need to stand together on this one, so get those e-mails and letters out to The game&fish and please attend the meetings and let our voice be heard across the entire state.

The important thing is that we do as venadoslayer just suggested - get to the commissioners and dept. officials with those emails , phone calls and any other way you can reach them.

I do believe there were a lot of good intentions in these proposals, but they misinterpreted the results of their survey. Now the commission and dept. have some explaining to do because many hunters are misinterpreting their actions.

Almost anyone will say they would hunt more if there were more tags and they got drawn more often. However, that does not mean any of us are willing to sacrifice hunt quality in order to increase chances of getting a tag. That's where they jump to an erroneous conclusion.

The commissioners have also indicated that those who show up at commission meetings - many of whom are members or leaders of hunting organizations, serious trophy hunters, guides, etc. - aren't necessarily representative of all hunters. I believe that's true for some issues. However, I believe those same individuals, even though they might be special interests and hunter-elites, nevertheless share the feelings of most hunters with respect to hunt quality.

If enough different hunters contact AG&F, they'll get the message that degradation of hunt quality in favor of quantity is a non-starter with virtually everyone.

The actions of the AZGFD are for their monrtary advancment first and foremost! The AZ hunters are a distant thing in their view..They are Making room for more tags and hunters in the field in non prime hunting times and seem to be pandering to the $$ of non residents.A few years back "ALL" of the tags for unit 13 went to non residents,and the commission said it was a computer glitch!When do they take responsibility to and for the residents of AZ?

Your Sportsmen dollars at work... Can anyone tell me how much money our G&F spent on the mountain lion fiasco in 2004 and it is still going on? Big Consultants, Big Seminars and educational meetings all across the state. All because a few animal rights people complained.

There were more bowhunters opposing the Departments plans for archery elk at the last Commission meeting this past weekend. You know, the ones that pay for the big meetings. THEY WERE TOLD THEY DON'T COUNT. THEY ARE IN THE MINORITY OF THE VAST BOWHUNTING PUBLIC THAT WANTS MORE OPPORTUNITY. I SAY PROVE IT!!!

If any of you have read my previous post, I thought the G&F should give the VAST BOWHUNTING COMMUNITY the chance to respond to a poll or survey that would clearly inform the bowhunters of three options for the archery elk season.

1. Keep the current structure.

2. Accept the Departments recommendation.

3. Accept an alternative (compromise) that the ABA would submit.

I have been told that the Department will not conduct such a survey or poll.

I have to believe the Department and Commission when they say this surely is not about money since they chose to spend so much supporting the wishes of a few animal rights folk. This must be about something deeper and more important.

Hey, I am glad the ABA has the opportunity to come to the table and speak for VAST MAJORITY of bowhunters. I guess what they said at the Commission meeting fell on deaf ears, since it was not representative of THE VAST MAJORITY of bowhunters, now it gives them the opportunity to offer a compromise for the VAST MAJORITY OF BOWHUNTERS.

Appears to me that Sandy, Stephanie, Rodney and Daniel are way more important than bowhunters.

I will repeat, after the Department gets an alternative compromise from the ABA, THEY NEED TO CONDUCT A SURVEY OF THE VAST MAJORITY. They need to include the dates of each hunt and the number of tags in each hunt. LET US DETERMINE WHAT OPPORTUNITY WE WANT.

If they are opposed to this consideration of the VAST MAJORITY OF BOWHUNTERS, then I would submit to all of you that this is all just about money and how to find opportunity to make more.

I just wanted to say that we as hunters in the state of Arizona need to let the people of the Az. G&F Dept. know that we are serious. I think that the members of the commission are appointed by the Govenor. We need to get some sort of pettiton going around the entire state to get rid of the commission we have. This has turned into a huge bureaucracy and this needs to change. We no longer need to have the commision appointed by the Govenor, these positions should be filled by a vote from the people. If we are going to make a stand this is the only way we are going to get them to listen. If anyone knows how to get this process started I would be willing to get the required signatures in my city and several others across the stae that are willinmg as well.

Those of you who think you won't be able to make it to a Commission meeting regarding the changes in hunt structure, should send an email to agfd and let them know what you think.

send the email to: azgamebranch@azgfd.gov

It really does matter to the commission to hear from sportsmen, and the more comments they get the better a decision they can make. You might even send an email even if you are going to a meeting. That way they have it in writing anyway.

Please make sure your email states your position clearly but is also respectful of AGFD. It doesn't really help to just bad mouth AGFD. Let them know what you think of the current proposal and any alternative ideas you might have.

Amanda

I just wanted to say that we as hunters in the state of Arizona need to let the people of the Az. G&F Dept. know that we are serious. I think that the members of the commission are appointed by the Govenor. We need to get some sort of pettiton going around the entire state to get rid of the commission we have. This has turned into a huge bureaucracy and this needs to change. We no longer need to have the commision appointed by the Govenor, these positions should be filled by a vote from the people. If we are going to make a stand this is the only way we are going to get them to listen. If anyone knows how to get this process started I would be willing to get the required signatures in my city and several others across the stae that are willinmg as well.

Commissioners are appointed by governors, but for staggered five year terms. This means a commission may consist of commissioners appointed by three different governors. State law requires that no more than three of the five commissioners are of the same political party, and that they be "knowledgeable" about Arizona's wildlife and fish. Tradition calls for them to come from different regions around the state. This system keeps partisan politics out of wildlife decisions, and keeps the panel from reinventing the wheel every couple of years.

On the other hand, electing commissioners in a general election would bring partisan politics into the mix. Do you want a state political party boss setting seasons by threatening to pull support from a political hack? Do you want the Legislature to set our seasons and bag limits? Do you want PETA and similar groups making big political donations to elect their own commissioners? Do you really think that the majority of the people in this state would vote to keep a sportsman-dominated comimission?

Be careful of what you wish for because you may get it.

Bill Q

Commissioners are appointed by governors, but for staggered five year terms. This means a commission may consist of commissioners appointed by three different governors. State law requires that no more than three of the five commissioners are of the same political party, and that they be "knowledgeable" about Arizona's wildlife and fish. Tradition calls for them to come from different regions around the state. This system keeps partisan politics out of wildlife decisions, and keeps the panel from reinventing the wheel every couple of years.

On the other hand, electing commissioners in a general election would bring partisan politics into the mix. Do you want a state political party boss setting seasons by threatening to pull support from a political hack? Do you want the Legislature to set our seasons and bag limits? Do you want PETA and similar groups making big political donations to elect their own commissioners? Do you really think that the majority of the people in this state would vote to keep a sportsman-dominated comimission?

Be careful of what you wish for because you may get it.

Bill Q

Well said Bill

it's still a "political" appointment. when was the last time that a real live, no bs outdoorsman was on the commission? how about never. most of the time at least 2 or 3 of the folks on the commission have never even owned a hunting license. look at some of the clowns we've have had in the past 15 or 20 years. i have a couple close personal friends who were on the commission at one time. good people. but had absolutley no outdoors background. never hunted. never fished. never left town. and they were horrible commissioners. went along with whatever they were told to. one guy, and he was a good friend (he croaked a couple years ago or he would still be), had to change his political party from republican to democrat so he could get appointed. so much for the deal of not having more than so many from different parties. he did it too, just for the appointment. he hoped it would lead to other, better appointments by the governor. as long as politics take precedence over biology, we're screwed. Lark.

it's still a "political" appointment.  when was the last time that a real live, no bs outdoorsman was on the commission?  how about never.  most of the time at least 2 or 3 of the folks on the commission have never even owned a hunting license.  look at some of the clowns we've have had in the past 15 or 20 years.  i have a couple close personal friends who were on the commission at one time.  good people.  but had absolutley no outdoors background.  never hunted.  never fished.  never left town.  and they were horrible commissioners.  went along with whatever they were told to.  one guy, and he was a good friend (he croaked a couple years ago or he would still be), had to change his political party from republican to democrat so he could get appointed.  so much for the deal of not having more than so many from different parties.  he did it too, just for the appointment.  he hoped it would lead to other, better appointments by the governor.  as long as politics take precedence over biology, we're screwed.  Lark.

Lark:

By politics I mean real politics with deep pockets paying for expensive multi-media campaigns to capture the most votes from the general public. Campaigns in which he with the most money wins all the marbles.

I knew well most of the commissioners who served from 1965 until I retired from the Tucson Citizen in 1994, and can think of none who wasn't a "no bs outdoorsman" (or woman).

They served not because they saw the commission as a stepping stone to some other position but because they thought they had something to contribute.

Going from the game commission to a better appointment has never happened to my knowledge, and I doubt that it ever will. Anyone who accepts an appointment for that reason isn't living in the real world.

Commissioners receive no pay, and cannot charge back all of their actual expenses. It costs them a lot of time and money to serve.

They do get a lot of angry phone calls at all times of the day and night, and have to spend a minumum of three days a month away from home attending meetings in every corner of the state.

They are cussed and discussed and seldom if ever praised for their effort and dedication.

I personally know only one commissioner now, but I do know he has hunted and fished avidly all his life.

Bill