seek100plus

Unit 9 early archery bull elk hunt

I drew a early archery bull elk tag in unit 9 , I will be scouting all summer to learn water source and roads to get to locations, tell it becomes my second home. I have never hunted this area, before so I have know idea what I'm up against , keeping a animal cooled down in September in this unit 9 ,securing a water hole or trick tank, tree stands and cameras getting stolen, animals staying higher elevation or lower when the rut starts or what not things to do. I have the whole elk hunting covered, but never hunted unit 9 to learn from past experience .

Any advice would be great, I know I wont draw this unit again for along time ,I really want do my homework and gain as much knowledge as possible to make this hunt the best hunt of my life.

elk are elk no matter what unit you are in. like you said, learn the unit. i have never hunted that unit but i would be there are good elk over most of it. i don't think there is much deviation in elevation for that unit. chase bugles...

I also have this tag, congrats on a great tag. My hunting partner and I had this tag in 04'. We set up a total of 4 tree stands and two were stolen. Hang your stands close to the season opener IMO. Not sure if they were stolen to get us to go elsewhere or just punk thieves. We harvested 360 and 370 class bulls. Hold out for something that makes you smile big!

I still can only dream of the day I get that tag, maybe one of these days, unless I get too impatient and put in for something else!

Congrats on the tag, you are gonna have an amazing time I'm sure.

I know a little bit about that unit, here's some tips....

There isn't much elevation change, but if the rut is slow down low, then go high.

There are great bulls to be found in every last inch of the unit. The trick to having a more enjoyable time is to find a spot away from the "hot spots". You'll still have just as many bulls usually and just as big, you can't go wrong in any part of that unit.

Just because you see a big bull before season doesn't mean he's gonna be there during season! Most of the big bulls travel during pre-rut and can go 20 miles or more.

Based on what you are seeing during your scouting, and whether or not you are willing to go home empty handed, decide what the smallest bull you'll be happy with is. If a 340" class bull is the smallest you'd be happy with and you don't wanna go home empty handed, then shoot em' on opening morning if he steps out!

When helping hunters with the tag you have, I tell them all that a 350" class bull or better is a great goal and is attainable for those with the will power to pass on all the 300-340"class bulls. If your goal is a 370" bull then you'll have to pass on the 350-360's! LOTS of folks say they'll pass up a 350" class bull, but when one runs in screaming in their face that all goes out the window!

Trail cams are a great tool to show what class of bulls are out there and if you use them on the tanks, expect to have a few stolen or vandalized. This is true with blinds and stands also! I've caught a few of the trail cam theives but there's more out there, and I doubt the ones I caught are gonna stop!

There are A LOT of buttheads that think they own tanks and think that just by hanging a stand they all of a sudden own it. First Come, First Served, and hope whoever shows up late is courteous.

Be aware that there are guys out there, some are outfitters but most are just hunters, that will set blinds up, treestands and even signs blocking roads to tanks that they aren't even hunting, they just make it look like the tank is taken so that it's available to them if their other spot doesn't pan out! They will even have their friends or family, who don't have a tag, sit those tanks so that nobody else does! This really gets under my skin and seems to happen more every year, and not just in that unit!

Because of those hassles, I use just a handful of cams (even tho according to rumors they are all mine! LOL) and I rarely ever sit water. If they are bugling, even in the very least, I'll be out there chasing em! Cams only tell me what to hold out for, not where the bull is gonna be during the rut, so they aren't even really worth the money I've lost to punk theives!

There are still a lot of nice and courteous folks out there, just treat everyone as you would want to be treated and hope for the best!

I didn't mean to paint a negative picture of what to expect, but it is things that happen and you'll see it. Just ignore it or stay away from it and have the time of your life!

If during your scouting you have any questions send me an email, I love helping folks out, even the ones that got my tag! LOL! Congrats again, JIM>

get yourself at least a 120 qt cooler, saw a 150 at Walmart today, freeze up a case of 16 oz water bottles and use these in place of ice, put down a layer, stack in the meat, will have to debone it, stick extra bottles wherever they will fit. This cools them meat down but doesn't leave it soaking in water. If you have to use ice open the drain on the cooler - not good in SUV's. Pillow cases from yard sales make great game bags, usually at about 25 cents each, then wash em up or throw em away and send the wife yard saling again.

get yourself at least a 120 qt cooler, saw a 150 at Walmart today, freeze up a case of 16 oz water bottles and use these in place of ice, put down a layer, stack in the meat, will have to debone it, stick extra bottles wherever they will fit. This cools them meat down but doesn't leave it soaking in water. If you have to use ice open the drain on the cooler - not good in SUV's. Pillow cases from yard sales make great game bags, usually at about 25 cents each, then wash em up or throw em away and send the wife yard saling again.

Great ideas!