CouesWhitetail

Guess the score contest - April 2011

A unbelievable buck!

How about an illustration and an explination that shows what points are the non-typical on the right side. I know there are some offical scorers out there.

What determined the G2? Why not the longer point as the typical point?

Why was the right side not considered a 4-point?

A unbelievable buck!

How about an illustration and an explination that shows what points are the non-typical on the right side. I know there are some offical scorers out there.

Good questions...I am an official measurer and I will try and answer your questions. To be considered a normal point, the tine has to come off the top of the main beam and be in the normal position for that species. It's hard to see in the photo, so it's hard for me to judge which one is the normal point, but I am assuming that he thought the slightly shorter tine was in a more normal position and looked most appropriate to the be the normal tine.

This kind of situation illustrates one of the reasons why I do these contests as a GROSS score, so that you guys don't have to know all the rules of Boone and Crockett for deciding normal vs abnormal points.

Your other question about the right not being considered a 4 point is a good one and I actually think he made a mistake on the scoresheet. I have a copy of the scoresheet and it states that he thought the tine on the right side that occurs between the g-3 and the tip of the beam is a normal point. Which means he should have had it in the right side column, but instead it looks like he entered it on the left side column on the score sheet.

Another question that I can't answer, is where is the 3 5/8 nontypical point on the right side? He has listed two nontyp points, but I only see one...maybe the pics don't show it? does anyone else see it?

A unbelievable buck!

Good questions...I am an official measurer and I will try and answer your questions. To be considered a normal point, the tine has to come off the top of the main beam and be in the normal position for that species. It's hard to see in the photo, so it's hard for me to judge which one is the normal point, but I am assuming that he thought the slightly shorter tine was in a more normal position and looked most appropriate to the be the normal tine.

Your other question about the right not being considered a 4 point is a good one and I actually think he made a mistake on the scoresheet. I have a copy of the scoresheet and it states that he thought the tine on the right side that occurs between the g-3 and the tip of the beam is a normal point. Which means he should have had it in the right side column, but instead it looks like he entered it on the left side column on the score sheet.

Another question that I can't answer, is where is the 3 5/8 nontypical point on the right side? He has listed two nontyp points, but I only see one...maybe the pics don't show it? does anyone else see it?

Thanks, helps for this case but each is different.

Seems it would score higher if it was a 4-point because of a better wrap.