BikerRN

Canadian Moose

Howdy All.

I'm starting to percolate the idea of a Moose Hunt in 2012 in Alberta and was wondering if I could bring a quartered Moose back in to the United States on ice to take to my processor and the head to my Taxidermist?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Biker

Yep, I did! Just don't expect to find ice chest up there... We bought every ice chest in Prince George BC then bought more in Calgary. Froze meat and hide, drove like He!! to get back to Flagstaff. Crossing the border was no problem at all, just make sure you have all the documents, they checked the meat, looked at the antlers said "good job" and sent me on my way.

post-647-0-60497000-1305870803_thumb.jpg

Yep, I did! Just don't expect to find ice chest up there... We bought every ice chest in Prince George BC then bought more in Calgary. Froze meat and hide, drove like He!! to get back to Flagstaff. Crossing the border was no problem at all, just make sure you have all the documents, they checked the meat, looked at the antlers said "good job" and sent me on my way.

post-647-0-60497000-1305870803_thumb.jpg

Very nice!

Congratulations on acquiring some wonderful memories. Also, thank you for helping to set my mind at ease, as I'm more of a meat hunter than anything. I like to eat what I harvest, coyotes excepted.

Biker

I built my own super-size ice chest to haul the frozen packages of a bison I shot in northern Colorado many years ago, and my son-in-law and his friends are still using it to haul their meat home.

It takes two men to load it into the back of a pickup truck when it is empty, but it absolutely keeps large quantities of meat frozen for several days.

Here's a materials list:

Two sheets of 3/4-inch particle board .

Two sheets of 2-inch stiff foam insulation,

Bottle of white glue

One tube clear caulking.

Couple dozen 2-inch drywall screws.

12x16-foot plastic tarp.

Roll of duct tape.

White (it deflects heat) latex paint.

Cut one sheet of particle board into four pieces: Two will be 24 inches by 48 inches, two will be 22 1/2 inches x 48 inches. These will be the sides of your freezer box.

Cut the other sheet of particle board into two 4x4-foot pieces. These will be the lid and bottom of the box.

Assemble bottom and sides of the box with glue and screws, caulk all seams on the inside, and paint the box and lid inside and out with two coats of white latex paint.

Insulate the box by cutting the foam to line the inside of the top, bottom and sides of your box. Do this carefully because you want the pieces to fit tightly without gaps. (Gaps are your enemy.)

When you're ready to load your box with meat, place the tarp inside the box, load the frozen meat on it and place 30-40 pounds of dry ice inside, fold the tarp around and over the meat to make a "package" inside the box and seal it with duct tape, then place your "lid foam" over the package and screw down the particle board lid. Do not open until you reach your destination, except to add more dry ice if you think it is needed.

My wife and I spent the night in Santa Fe and did some shopping on our trip home with that buffalo meat in my box in the back of my open pickup truck in late July, and every package still was rock-hard when we got to Tucson close to 40 hours after leaving the butcher shop in Colorado.

You should be able to haul an entire moose back from Alberta if you do something similar, especially if you cut up a second sheet of foam insulation and stagger the seams to get four inches of insulation, then stop about midway in the trip down and add more dry ice.

The cost of a such a box" should be a lot less than a comparable number of cubic feet of store-bought ice chests. I used particle board because it was cheaper and more dense than plywood. I never figured that my son-in-law would still be using it thirty-five years later.

With the lid screwed down, the box also makes a relatively safe place to store your gear on your way to your destination.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

I built my own super-size ice chest to haul the frozen packages of a bison I shot in northern Colorado many years ago, and my son-in-law and his friends are still using it to haul their meat home.

It takes two men to load it into the back of a pickup truck when it is empty, but it absolutely keeps large quantities of meat frozen for several days.

Here's a materials list:

Two sheets of 3/4-inch particle board .

Two sheets of 2-inch stiff foam insulation,

Bottle of white glue

One tube clear caulking.

Couple dozen 2-inch drywall screws.

12x16-foot plastic tarp.

Roll of duct tape.

White (it deflects heat) latex paint.

Cut one sheet of particle board into four pieces: Two will be 24 inches by 48 inches, two will be 22 1/2 inches x 48 inches. These will be the sides of your freezer box.

Cut the other sheet of particle board into two 4x4-foot pieces. These will be the lid and bottom of the box.

Assemble bottom and sides of the box with glue and screws, caulk all seams on the inside, and paint the box and lid inside and out with two coats of white latex paint.

Insulate the box by cutting the foam to line the inside of the top, bottom and sides of your box. Do this carefully because you want the pieces to fit tightly without gaps. (Gaps are your enemy.)

When you're ready to load your box with meat, place the tarp inside the box, load the frozen meat on it and place 30-40 pounds of dry ice inside, fold the tarp around and over the meat to make a "package" inside the box and seal it with duct tape, then place your "lid foam" over the package and screw down the particle board lid. Do not open until you reach your destination, except to add more dry ice if you think it is needed.

My wife and I spent the night in Santa Fe and did some shopping on our trip home with that buffalo meat in my box in the back of my open pickup truck in late July, and every package still was rock-hard when we got to Tucson close to 40 hours after leaving the butcher shop in Colorado.

You should be able to haul an entire moose back from Alberta if you do something similar, especially if you cut up a second sheet of foam insulation and stagger the seams to get four inches of insulation, then stop about midway in the trip down and add more dry ice.

The cost of a such a box" should be a lot less than a comparable number of cubic feet of store-bought ice chests. I used particle board because it was cheaper and more dense than plywood. I never figured that my son-in-law would still be using it thirty-five years later.

With the lid screwed down, the box also makes a relatively safe place to store your gear on your way to your destination.

Bill Quimby

Thank you!

I hadn't thought of that, and was dreading the thought of having to buy a bunch of coolers. Right now this is just in the percolating around in my brain stage, as is Africa. It'll most likely take me longer than two years to accomplish, but it is on the list. I'd probably want to do Canada before attempting Africa. The thing that really bothers me about Africa is not being able to bring the meat home. At least when I was in Australia I was able to make use of the 'roo's I shot. That has to be one of my favorite meats.

Biker

Biker:

You won't look twice at 'roo meat after eating an African antelope, especially eland, kudu, springbok, impala or bushbuck.

Bill Quimby

Biker:

You won't look twice at 'roo meat after eating an African antelope, especially eland, kudu, springbok, impala or bushbuck.

Bill Quimby

+1 Mmmmm :D

Biker:

Bill Quimby

OK you two. I know you are in cahoots with one another. ;)

Actually I don't mind, as it helps to urge me onward. In my communication with a guy in another forum he said I needed to get a permit to bring the meat back across the border. How do I do that, or do I even have to do that? Does my Canadian hunting permit serve as my importing permit since I'll be the one that shot it and bringing it back across the border?

Thank you.

Biker

Howdy All.

I'm starting to percolate the idea of a Moose Hunt in 2012 in Alberta and was wondering if I could bring a quartered Moose back in to the United States on ice to take to my processor and the head to my Taxidermist?

Biker

I have a friend who's an outfitter up in Alberta. He can answer any questions you have. His name is Chad, shoot him an email.

Info@savageencounters.com

Howdy All.

Biker

I have a friend who's an outfitter up in Alberta. He can answer any questions you have. His name is Chad, shoot him an email.

Info@savageencounters.com

Thank you Kaibab.

I'll keep his email handy and email him when I get closer to doing such a thing. Right now I'm just fermenting the idea in my percolater, also known as my brain. :)

Biker

Biker:

Bill Quimby

Actually I don't mind, as it helps to urge me onward. In my communication with a guy in another forum he said I needed to get a permit to bring the meat back across the border. How do I do that, or do I even have to do that? Does my Canadian hunting permit serve as my importing permit since I'll be the one that shot it and bringing it back across the border?

Thank you.

Biker

I had an outfitter who supplied all the forms needed, I know there was the license, permit, tag but I am not sure what else... Sorry, it was a couple of years ago and my memory isn't that great on details of the paperwork.

Biker:

Bill Quimby

Thank you.

Biker

I had an outfitter who supplied all the forms needed, I know there was the license, permit, tag but I am not sure what else... Sorry, it was a couple of years ago and my memory isn't that great on details of the paperwork.

Thank you.

PM inbound.

Biker

We hunt and fish in Wyoming most every year, some years when we do not draw a tag we just fish and hunt small game, grouse, rabbits, and we go in September when it is still pretty warm so we came up with an idea to insure our meat arrived home in good condition. We have done this for a number of years and it is suprising how much meat (even in quarters) you can get into one of these freezers.

We have a smallish chest freezer that we have in an enclosed trailer (with all our other stuff packed in the trailer too) that we put our meat in and run off a generator to keep the meat cool. Once the meat is cooled out you can keep the freezer going only a few hours a day and the meat will stay cool.

We have an extension cord coming out of the front of our trailer (we just drilled a hole, put the cord through and siliconed the hole around the cord) we have even ran the generator in the back of our truck while rolling down the highway. At night you can ask the hotel where you are staying if they have an exterior plug you can plug into, have never had them turn us down and they always have some somewhere on the outside of the building to be able to run landscaping equiptment, etc.

You can find some inexpensive chest freezers out there, we bought ours at Lowes some years back that was scratched and dented but works and is still working great.

I have even seen people with chest freezers in the back of their pickups doing the same thing. Most freezers come with a key/lock on them so you can lock the lid to keep honest people honest if it is in the back of your truck.