Sign in to follow this  
BikerRN

Foxpro Spitfire

In reading a different thread I had a question come up, and insted of derailing someone else's thread I figured I'd start my own.

I'm looking at getting a Foxpro Spitfire and was wondering what the consensus was on them as a good call for predators? Thank you in advance for your help.

Biker

In reading a different thread I had a question come up, and insted of derailing someone else's thread I figured I'd start my own.

I'm looking at getting a Foxpro Spitfire and was wondering what the consensus was on them as a good call for predators? Thank you in advance for your help.

Biker

i have had mine for a year now.... i have nothing bad to say about it.. i use it alot too...

I have had mine for about 2 years. It has everything you could possibly need to call in predators: clear, loud, easy to operate... I also love that its small enough to pack without too much weight or size.

That being said, I have had issues calling in cold conditions. Springerville, over New Years, 15 degree weather, the controller started to malfunction, and wouldn't communicate with the call.

I recently attended that mt lion calling seminar in Mesa, and was blown away by the volume of the call used by the presenter. It was about 2.5x louder than my spitfire, which has prompted me to consider auxiliary speakers to increase volume.

Outside if the temp issue, I consider it a great call that is affordable, compact and effective.

They will work, but if I was you I would swing over to Predatormasters.com and buy a used Foxpro Scorpion. They work awesome, (I have one and have killed 100+ predators with it) and they arent that expensive. They work really well in thick to semi thick cover, but arent the best for really open ground.

They will work, but if I was you I would swing over to Predatormasters.com and buy a used Foxpro Scorpion. They work awesome, (I have one and have killed 100+ predators with it) and they arent that expensive. They work really well in thick to semi thick cover, but arent the best for really open ground.

Thanks!

I found that website and joined up tonight. I even saw some post you made over there. I look forward to learning a lot from that site.

Biker

It is a good site and has a lot to offer...

Since it is not prime time calling right now, be patiet and see if you can snag a Scorpion for around $200 or so... You should be able to do it.

The Foxpro Spitfire is a good entry level electronic predator caller. As it's a Foxpro the customer service and reputation are top-notch. That being said, when it comes to volume, it's the bottom of the pile compared to other Foxpro caller. For the $200 a Spitfire costs I'd look to purchasing a used Foxpro FX3 or FX5. Considerably louder in volume. Scorpion uses a small 3" speaker. Not far off on volume to the Spitfire.

Someone mentioned attending the APC Seminar on lion calling Steve Craig did. He fired up his Wildlife Technologies electronic caller and wowed the audience with lion vocalizations. That caller uses a TOA PA horn as a speaker. Any caller using that type of a speaker configuration will get louder volume. There are a few different companies using a TOA horn. Minaska Outdoors, Flambeau Madd Callers, and even Foxpro made a CS24 which uses a TOA horn.

The most important factor in calling is loudness. The louder your caller is the higher your chances of calling in predators is as the sound is getting out to more of their ears.

I just purchased the Mighty Atom 21 From wildlife technologies and it is amazing i called in a double this morning and it was my first time using it what a machine i will get a lion this year! I started another thread with my story and pics if you want to check it out!

I have the Primo's Power Dogg for about 3 or 4 years and never treated me bad on the field.