Sign in to follow this  
jrose1967

Questions from a newbie

Hi,

I'm new to this...actually just applied for the unit 21 WT hunt for the first time. I've been quail and dove hunting for a while but not big game. My son (14) asked to go deer hunting this year; so we put in.

Anyway, I put Unit 21 as my first choice since we live in Cave Creek. Makes it easy/convenient to scout and such. I have a couple of questions which I'm hoping someone can answer...

1. The only rifle I have now is a Marlin 336 in 30-30. It shoots nicely to at least 100 yards with the buckhorn sights, but I plan to scope it and practice at 200 yards with the Hornaday LE rounds. I realize this isn't ideal. Buying a new rifle for this hunt is probably not an option unless I sell the Marlin...which I really don't want to do unless absolutely necessary. I'd love feedback on whether I'd just be spinning my wheels with the Marlin or not.

2. Love to receive any tips (particularly on tactics for scouting and hunting) that might be helpful. My son likes to hunt quail with me, but I'm guessing picking our way through the washes to see what we can scare up is probably not the way for Coues.

Being our first hunt I don't really have many expectations...mostly just learning...but I'd like to get started in the right direction. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Welcome to the obsession that is coues deer hunting! If you haven't already been through the informative portion of the site, I would start by spending a few minutes going through that! You can't spend too much time on there; there are so many nuggets of wisdom to be found. Good glass will help to make your hunt a successful one, too. You will spend more time glassing hillsides than hiking! Scout long, scout as often as you can, and have fun! Just a start, I hope this helps.

Hi,

I'm new to this...actually just applied for the unit 21 WT hunt for the first time. I've been quail and dove hunting for a while but not big game. My son (14) asked to go deer hunting this year; so we put in.

Anyway, I put Unit 21 as my first choice since we live in Cave Creek. Makes it easy/convenient to scout and such. I have a couple of questions which I'm hoping someone can answer...

1. The only rifle I have now is a Marlin 336 in 30-30. It shoots nicely to at least 100 yards with the buckhorn sights, but I plan to scope it and practice at 200 yards with the Hornaday LE rounds. I realize this isn't ideal. Buying a new rifle for this hunt is probably not an option unless I sell the Marlin...which I really don't want to do unless absolutely necessary. I'd love feedback on whether I'd just be spinning my wheels with the Marlin or not.

2. Love to receive any tips (particularly on tactics for scouting and hunting) that might be helpful. My son likes to hunt quail with me, but I'm guessing picking our way through the washes to see what we can scare up is probably not the way for Coues.

Being our first hunt I don't really have many expectations...mostly just learning...but I'd like to get started in the right direction. Thanks for any help you can offer.

It is hard to say since we dont know if this is a late hunt or an early hunt.

If it is an early hunt, bucks are a bit more predictable. This is good for your situation since your range is limited. An ambush is in order. Much more possible in the early season. In the late season however, they can be unpredictable and move very fast. This is where glassing your eyes out and being able to reach out a bit further. Dont let that scare you though. There are plenty of guys here that regularly kill nice bucks in the rut with their bows. You will need to ask yourself how your own hunting skills are. How close do you think you can get? An honest self examination will tell you what you need to do.

Happy hunting!

thanks, guys. This helps. I put my first choice as the early hunt...late October. As far as hunting skills...well, I guess I'll find out :).

Again, sorry for my ignorance, but when you say set up an ambush...I assume that's trying to figure out where they will be at a certain time of day and get there ahead of them, correct?

Again, thanks for the time.

Most likely he mean find an area ie spring seep well used trail. (Found during scouting) and build a ground blind and when a buck coming in for his daily drink. Whammo. I hunt 21. It an easy draw but a very tough hunt. There are lots of roadhunters/road glassers. If you ur willing to go to the the far reaches of the deep nasty canyons you'll be rewarded. If you live in cave creek there are some nice coues bucks withing 20mile.

Oh ya hike far, glass hard and stalk slow.

Most likely he mean find an area ie spring seep well used trail. (Found during scouting) and build a ground blind and when a buck coming in for his daily drink. Whammo. I hunt 21. It an easy draw but a very tough hunt. There are lots of roadhunters/road glassers. If you ur willing to go to the the far reaches of the deep nasty canyons you'll be rewarded. If you live in cave creek there are some nice coues bucks withing 20mile.

Oh ya hike far, glass hard and stalk slow.

Thanks...well I love a good hike. I'll take that advice. Appreciate it.

JR- i have hunted in az for quite a while. in my opinion wt are a much harder big game to start hunting on than mule deer. it takes GOOD optics and a good rifle.wt are a small target and most are shot at 250 yards or more. sell the 30-30. get a .243 or 25-06. tactics- it would help to go out with someone experienced. generally you hike to the top of a mountain with some good optics; in the dark. then you glass until you find one then you shoot.

Try to tag along with someone with experience and soak up their knowledge!!! That's how I got started on the obsession of coues!

how to hunt coues deer

this book would get you thinking in the right direction.

i would not hunt white tail with a 30-30 in 21. its a personal preference but shot are normally long. see if any one you know would allow you to borrow a rifle. (it may surprise you how many people have an 30/06 in the closet that they have forgot about cause they have not hunted it 20y.)

do you have a 4wd truck/quad? it matters on how far and what roads you can take and in what weather. hunting 21 for coues and living in cave creek puts you at an advantage. imo.

how to hunt coues deer

this book would get you thinking in the right direction.

i would not hunt white tail with a 30-30 in 21. its a personal preference but shot are normally long. see if any one you know would allow you to borrow a rifle. (it may surprise you how many people have an 30/06 in the closet that they have forgot about cause they have not hunted it 20y.)

do you have a 4wd truck/quad? it matters on how far and what roads you can take and in what weather. hunting 21 for coues and living in cave creek puts you at an advantage. imo.

Thanks again all. Really appreciate it. I'll definitely buy the book and I'll start looking for a good topo map. Sounds like I'll likely sell the Marlin and buy a longer-range rifle. I'd rather have my own just in case something happens...drops, fall down, etc. I plan on putting in for Javelina in 21 too...Imagine the shots will be of similar distance. Anyway...I'll look into that after I get back from Powell.

Guess I'll head up FR 24 tomorrow morning to start looking around and trying to gameplan.

Thanks again.

I realize you might be attached to the 30-30 but I would definitely look at more of a long range weapon. 25-06, 260, 100 WM, 7mm RM.... something that can reach 500 yards and still have some knock down. Most of the coues deer that I have seen do not hang out at the under 200 mark which you pretty much need to be at with a 30-30. Spend some $ on your optics also... it is an expensive hobby.