Sign in to follow this  
Don Martin

My White Sands Oryx, Oct. 2010

I was fortunate to draw a White Sands oryx tag for the Oct. 2010 hunt.

One of the neatest hunts I've ever been on. Way too short and for someone who hadn't ever seen a live oryx, it was quite the challenge on a two day hunt.

Oh we found oryx, lots of them, but having never been there before and not knowing how they respond to hunting pressure really posed a lot of challenges for me.

My "team" on this hunt was my brother Gary and my good friends Jay Chan and Dave Bruns. These guys are as good as it gets when it comes to long range glassing with awesome optics! These boys found critters far, far away. The problem of course was judging them.

I passed and passed until Sunday afternoon and then it was time to get serious. I confess I missed a giant cow at a long distance (400 yards) but I connected on a good looking bull. If I hadn't taken "The Claw" (my shooting aid) with me on that tortuous climb up that last vertical mountain, not sure I could have made the shot I did. Notice the two holes almost side-by-side on the bull's shoulder! My gosh can these guys carry copper...

Man I wish I could do it again, knowing what I know now. If anyone who draws this tag needs a "hunting buddy" this fall, give me a call. I'd really enjoy going back. I've had all my friends apply for a tag too.

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

post-3669-0-56708200-1306912663_thumb.jpg

What a beautiful animal. How many years did it take you to draw the tag? Congratulations and thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

excellent and congrats!!! that is some perfect shot placement right there.