Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

water and bears

Have a plan brewing in my mind to try and sit water during the fall bear season and harvest one with my bow. I have a couple of spots in mind plus a couple more that may have potential. Just wondering if anyone here has been successful with this tactic.

Thanks

Have a plan brewing in my mind to try and sit water during the fall bear season and harvest one with my bow. I have a couple of spots in mind plus a couple more that may have potential. Just wondering if anyone here has been successful with this tactic.

Thanks

Plenty of spring success while sitting water has been discussed on this sight. Fall hunting, however, appears to be mostly glassing up bears and shooting them at longer ranges with rifles. Two years ago in the fall, I was setting up to call a stand and heard a loud noise coming down an adjacent hillside. It was a large black bear that came down to water at a hole near me. It was the day before the season opener, so I just watched the bear.

Yeah Jeff I know guys that have had success with it... but it can be hit & miss depending on the water situation... Good Luck! It is always fun sitting and waiting on water.. you just never know what might come to drink.

Chasing a pack of hounds around treeing bears and that is a possible way of shooting a bear and wouldn't be as boring as just aitting on water. Im not in it to shoot a bear this year just training some up and coming pups with the older dogs! But if someone was willing to come along and wait for the right bear to be treed they could shoot it with their bow!

Last year I had tons of pictures on the cams of bears on water during the day in the summer, but as soon as season started and the dogs got running we never saw any during daylight hours again. good luck.

I've never hunted bear in the fall, so I can't disagree with the advice from those that have, but here's one my camera picked up that was coming back from a water hole in May.

post-5606-0-67265400-1310364576_thumb.jpg