DesertBull

Sitting water!

I am not a guide, I provide a scouting service.

All hunts are DIY.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything.. Congrats for doing a good scouting job!

Bret

Oh, no problem. I Just don't want any Game and Fish cops thinking that I am guiding or outfitting hunters without a license.

My main tactic for the Dec/Jan season was to sit water. Get this on the first Sunday of the season 72 cattle were moved in to relatively some area with only this paticular water for them to use. I talked to a fellow checking on the cattle and they will be moved the last weekend of Jan. I have spent over forty hours on stand and have only seen four does. Does any one else think the cattle could have changed up the deers habits and perhaps pushed them to drink more at night. The cattle are at the water hole the majority of the day. I feel like I have wasted the season looking at cattle. I have done my share of glassing also and have seen almost no rutting activity as of this past weekend. I'm getting pretty discouraged. The more I hunt them the more respect I get for the grey ghost, what a challenge!!!

I have seen cattle and deer FEEDING side by side, but I think when you have a bunch of the range maggots hanging around the waterhole all day long, they do intimidate the deer. WHen they are on the slopes feeding, they are all spread out and can keep their distance, but at the waterhole it's very crowded and the cows outweigh them by 10x.

It's not too late to find another water source. I like the G&F trick tanks because they almost alwaysfence them off from the cattle.

The sell a book with the locations of hundreds of these tanks. It's $50 though, which seems like a ripoff, but I have received my moneys worth from it.

I to have the G & F water tank book. I found it on ebay, used for 10.00 .

Keep your eyes open, you may find a used copy.

I know that cattle and deer do feed side by side, but get away from the cattle.

The influence of the cattle can change patterns and watering times. Good luck, you've paid your dues on time spent on the stand, it's time you start seeing some bucks.

This weekend was again extremely warm, and I saw NO rutting activity, Does chasing Does. Hmmm

Hang tough and it only takes one arrow.

AzP&Y :)

Thanks for the advice you guys. It's funny my partner purchased that book about two three weeks ago and were talking about it when you guys were posting. We talked about finding last minute set ups, butt I think if we change up we'll probably spot and stalk. We also have pig tags and two children hunting, it would be fun to get them on some pigs. And don't forget, the rut has to take place some time right? We do however plan on using that map to help find new set ups for Aug. We live in Tucson and hunt in 29, the gas bill has been outrageous this season starting in Aug. With scouting I have driven down there atleast 15 times. We have four cameras and will try to set up closer to home.

I just picked up that book and is seems like it will be worth the money.

I was hunting last week and decided to check a walk to tank and kicked about 10 deer off of it at 10:30. I will be sitting water as soon as I fill my pig tag. Which by the way should have already been done.

On another subject, yesterday morning I was glassing at first light, and not seeing a thing. So I dedided to check the the hunting times on my GPS. It said the best time would be from about 10:00 to noon. At about 9:30 sure enough the deer started getting up to feed.

REDDOG

NIce, I check that feature on the GPS from time to time to see if it knows something??? A few times it's been right on.

I find myself checking it more often ( peak hunt times ) an wether the "Hunt Forecast" is Poor - Fair - Good or EXCELLENT.

Garmin is a nice versatile GPS- that gives hunters a better advantage.

Technology and good old fashioned wisdom. :lol:

AZP&Y

reddog,

If you don't mind me asking where exactly did you pick that book up. I went to the AZ game and fish website and could not find anything about a water tank book.

Thanks

FLETCH953

Fletch

I called the Tucson office and they only had on the office, so I went down there and got it. I do know that you can order them from the web site.

Reddog

Guest Reynaldo de la Torre
It's dry guys. AND HOT! Deer are hitting the water hard during shooting hours. I have a lot of photos that I don'thave time to post right now of good bucks on water during the middle of the day.

Give it a try.

Here is a Carp that one of my clients killed this past week in the desert. He killed him the very first morning of his hunt, at a trick tank.

post-4-1136407565.jpg

Nice buck - real nice. I don't think it's cool to wait by a water hole though. Anybody can do that. Just me - no offense.

Not cool??? You have to have some major discipline to sit a water hole especially if nothings coming in and your in a tree stand all day. Hats off for that toad of a muley. I'm hoping my luck will change so far I have fifty hours on water and no shot oppurtunity yet.