Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Turning a stand bed into a flatbed

I have a steel rack that slides into the bed of my 2500. Basically makes a flatbed just above the bed sides. I can fit two full size Arctic Cat 500's side by side. The 12 foot folding ramps slide under each quad and lock in place. Plenty of storage under the rack, and the tailgate will close. It handles great with stock suspension, but I think I will install airbags. I hauled my quads this way so I could pull my tent trailer, before I sold it. I'm guessing the rack weighs about 300 lbs. I can load it myself.

WOW you have really peaked my interest....did you make it....buy it? please share?

I had pretty much came to the conclusion that I was gonna ride with my ride for another year...then get a new truck (at least new to me).

Here are a few pics of the rack in action. A friend had one he ordered from a company in Utah. It was a bolt-together type, probably a bit lighter than mine. Another buddy worked with a guy that does welding jobs on the side. He used the bolt-together as a template to build two, one for each of us. We had them professionally powder coated by another friend. The total cost was around $1300, as I recall. That was in 2005. May be much more now. Anyway, it's well built, all welded joints. It fits perfect in my 6.5 foot bed. I strongly recomend a 3/4 ton or better truck for this setup. Redman, if you are interested, I can check with my buddy to see if he wants to sell his. It fit a late 90's Ford 250. It has a cross-member that attached to his 5th-wheel hitch for locking it down. post-2983-0-45911400-1311825992_thumb.jpgpost-2983-0-00577500-1311825976_thumb.jpgpost-2983-0-43262200-1311825956_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pics of the rack in action. A friend had one he ordered from a company in Utah. It was a bolt-together type, probably a bit lighter than mine. Another buddy worked with a guy that does welding jobs on the side. He used the bolt-together as a template to build two, one for each of us. We had them professionally powder coated by another friend. The total cost was around $1300, as I recall. That was in 2005. May be much more now. Anyway, it's well built, all welded joints. It fits perfect in my 6.5 foot bed. I strongly recomend a 3/4 ton or better truck for this setup. Redman, if you are interested, I can check with my buddy to see if he wants to sell his. It fit a late 90's Ford 250. It has a cross-member that attached to his 5th-wheel hitch for locking it down. post-2983-0-45911400-1311825992_thumb.jpgpost-2983-0-00577500-1311825976_thumb.jpgpost-2983-0-43262200-1311825956_thumb.jpg

I've seen racks like that before... Pretty cool, but I bet they are spooky in the curves, eh? All that weight above cab height has got to be like having a cab-over camper on board. Did you install air bags?

I've seen racks like that before... Pretty cool, but I bet they are spooky in the curves, eh? All that weight above cab height has got to be like having a cab-over camper on board. Did you install air bags?

Believe it or not, it handles really well. Not much noticable lean in a curve. No air bags yet, just stock suspension. Not sure how it will handle a sudden blow-out at highway speed. I'm not anxious to find out. I figure it is similar to a cab-over camper. The spooky part is loading them...but you get used to it after doing it a few times. Honestly, after selling my tent trailer we have gone back to the tent, so I haven't used the rack in quite a while. I haul the quads on a trailer, which is simpler. I'm not sure what the next move is.....small toyhauler, small camp trailer (using the rack), stay with the tent......these quads sure complicate things :unsure: