Sign in to follow this  
hesbinrubn

AZ desert in August

Just curious, does anyone else hunt desert mule deer bucks in August spot and stalk? Been doing it the past few years was wondering on your thoughts. Pretty challenging because of heat. Im not talking about oakbrush desert, im talking cactus and occotillo desert 108 degrees. Any tips and tactics that have worked for you guys? Oh yeah and sitting a water hole isn't much of an option because there isn't one, and yes if your wondering there are deer around.

Sitting water is by far the best way to hunt desert bucks in August. If there are deer, there is water somewhere. You just have to find it. If there aren't any tanks, they are drinking from a seep somewhere in a wash. Now, thats not to say they aren't going a couple days between hitting water and the water is very limited but there is water if there are deer. They will also travel quite a ways for water. The cool thing about your situation and where you are hunting is that if the water is very limited the deer are probably only hitting one or two water sources which means if you find the water, you'll get to see every deer in the area by watching the source. What i would do is get out early in the morning and start walking the major washes where you hunt. Pay close attention to the walls of the wash. You may have to walk for miles to find it though so be prepared. Another trick is if there are any cattle in the area, scout them. They water everyday and won't be far from it.

Spot and stalk not only sucks in this heat but it can be a little dangerous. Snakes are still out there in droves.

Hope this helps and good luck finding that water source.

I thought I was the only one dumb enough to hunt the desert in August,lol.

If I could get drawn for a desert muley hunt, I'd be right there with you. :lol: