Sign in to follow this  
quailchaser

24B Porkers

I have a HAM tag for 24B. I haven't seen a porker in three weeks. Am I the only one missing them or are they way down in population. I put in for this unit because it looked good and is close to the valley. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

Happy Hunting to all!

The numbers are low!!! Look around the Reeves trail head and the road that is at the top of the mountain to the west of the trail head

quailchaser,

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I've hunted that unit for pigs for many years and it's just got worse and worse. The last three years I hunted it I didn't even see a pig during the season. I mostly hunted the areas north of Florence Jct, north of Superior all the way up to the reevis trail head. I've covered every inch of that area at one time or another. Don't get me wrong, the pigs are still there just not in the same numbers they used to be. You'll have to hunt hard to find them. I think the drought and lions account for a great deal of the low numbers. I did not even put in for the unit this year or last year because none of my old pig pastures are holding reliable numbers of pigs.

Good luck!

Try around Queen Valley and across the hiway from the Arboretium (sp?)

Also, in the rolling hills to west of the hiway between Globe and Roosevelt Lake Dam.

The fringe areas around outside of Gold Canyon. There are a lot of food / water sources for them on the golf coarse and all the pretty flowers that people plant in their yards, but they often retreat back to the desert when people start moving around the community in the morning. When Aunt Bee comes outside in the morning and finds the pigs in her garden and all of her tulips and lillies uprooted, she drives them off with blood curdling screams and embarrassing profanity.

Look in areas that have a lot of barrel cactus. The fruit is ripe and the deer and pigs are gorging on that stuff. It seems like that is the only green food they have right now. Plus it has a lot of moisture in it.

If you have found any fresh sign at all, go back to it instead of hopping around the unit. If the sign is fresh, just keep hunting that area hard.

Good Luck

It's been a couple of years, so this info. may or may not be any good. While I was hunting coues in there the year before last, I saw pigs every day right behind Pinto Valley Mines. There was a little creek (not much water) right as you got out of the mines and onto public lands, and there were always pigs there.

Folks,

Thanks for the advice. I'm heading out this weekend to see if I can find any (sconting only--HAM hunt). Even if I don't find any, it sounds like it will be good from a weather perspective.

One of these days, I may get lucky....

Thanks again!

There will always be pigs in 24B,...glass harder they are there. My wife has a 24b HAM hunt as well and I have never gone in there without finding pigs.

The apache trail area is loaed with them,...... plenty ofareas to glass for miles.

Glad to hear your scouting early though.

I gave up on the southern end of the unit with all the quads, quail hunters and renesaince festival people, the norhtern portions of 24b always have a few good herds. Try near davis wash or pine creek their there.

Dan