Sign in to follow this  
Alpinebullwinkle

Unit 27 Archery Elk

I have been disappointed in my scouting efforts for the upcoming unit #27 archery elk hunt. Have found a few nice bulls which have already moved or will move soon. Not finding many cow herds other than the same couple of locations that everyone is aware of. I'm wondering if more elk burned than disclosed or maybe they are all in New Mexico and the reservation after fleeing the fire. Is anyone else having any luck locating cow herds in unit #27 ?

I wouldn't worry about it. The bulls will come in and break those cows up. Theres gunna be a bull for every 8 cows or so. Those huge groups of cows will broken up into many smaller groups and will spread out. Thats my opinion anyways.

I wouldn't worry about it. The bulls will come in and break those cows up. Theres gunna be a bull for every 8 cows or so. Those huge groups of cows will broken up into many smaller groups and will spread out. Thats my opinion anyways.

Talked to an AGF wildlife manager yesterday and he confirmed to me that the cows in #27 are generally very split up into herds of 10 or less (unlike prior years)