I have heard a lot of people talking about unit 23, is that a hot unit for coues?

I looked at the game and fish web page and found some interesting things about that unit but would have no idea where to start looking. I researched some more and it looks like a good place, but with all this talk about the unit it sounds pretty populated... with people! Does anyone know what the hunting pressure is like up there? On a map there looks to be a lot of roads but there are some places that you can backpack in for 5 - 6 miles. If thats what it takes to get away from the pressure than so be it. What other advise can you all give reguarding this "HOT" unit?

Thank you,

greyghost.

I became interested in 23 when a guy I know killed a 127 about four years ago. He said hunting was in tough, heavy covered terrain. I have also heard that it is a good unit for non-typicals. Three other hunters I know have hunted 23, but none have shot a big one, although one missed an opportunity at a 110, he says. I personally have not hunted 23, as I have been in 29 &36c mostly. Sorry I can't give you any personal experience.

Red Rabbit/Doug

Greyghost,

Unit 23 is a great Coues unit. I believe there is only a December hunt in that unit, no November hunt like most other units so although it is popular, it is not hunted too hard.

Unit 23 is known to have produced some huge bucks. The # 3 Nontypical came from there and it netted 155! Check out a photo of that buck in the recordbook section of this web site. I believe Travis' father, Mick, guided the hunter to that buck.

I spent a fair amount of time in Unit 23 last season and there is a high buck:doe ratio. I saw lots of mature bucks, not just spikes like you see in other units. I am considering a backpack hunt there with a friend next year.

So that pretty much sums up why it's so popular! Lots of deer and big bucks.

Amanda

I think one of the reasons a lot of people like this unit is the diversity of Coues Deer habitat, from 7000ft. at the rim to 2500ft. at the desert floor along Roosevelt Lake and the fact that you can backpack into very isolated areas without having to much hunting pressure. I personally haven't hunted it for deer but a lot of my friends have with a great amount of success.

Arizona Griz.

Like Amanda said my dad was with Chaz when he killed the #3 NT Coues (then #1) in unit 23.Like Griz said it has great diversity in the terrain.You can hunt the desert or the pines.I know a couple of years ago when the G&F did thier survey it had one of the highest deer per square mile ratios in the state.And like Amanda said there is a great buck to doe ratio with many mature bucks.There are lots of people.But there are some wilderness areas that you can walk into with no roads.We have killed some good bucks out of 23.Last year was one of the worst years for big bucks I have seen.Maybe with more rain we will have some more banner years in the future. Travis

Thanks for the great information everyone! It sounds like a great place to learn. I like to keep my options open and have as many places to hunt as possible. The deer should be dropping their head gear pretty soon, so this summer would be a great time to investagate to area. Are they found all over the various terrain? Or are there better elevations than others? I also noticed that the unit boarders aginst a reservation, do any of you go close to the boarder? On the map they look like some secluded areas. Its also not a bad drive from the valley. Well thanks again for the input.

greyghost