Sign in to follow this  
#1huntinfool

State Record

World Record rifle is ALSO in Az... :) Ed Stockwell 144 1/8" shot in 1953... I believe that is the score. Barbara and little eddie have the original mount. the antlers were never mounted on the original cape. You can see replicas in the Phoenix Cabelas. However the deer they are mounted on is the WORST body mount I have ever seen

Do yall know what the Arizona state record for couse deer is archery and rifle?

This is the current archery record:

ABOUT THE COVER

At 130 1/8 points, Sergio Orozco’s terrific buck became the typical

Coues deer world record after the Pope & Young Club made it official in

May 2003. Sergio killed his fine trophy with his bow on Jan. 11, 2001

in Arizona’s Unit 34A. The buck should also place high in the top ten

entries of the Boone & Crockett Club’s record book.

P&Y also presented Sergio with the coveted Ishi Award. Since P&Y’s

inception in 1961, the club has given out only 16 Ishi Awards, the

highest honor the club bestows for a truly outstanding trophy.

Cover Photo Courtesy of Sergio Orozco

post-82-0-12034700-1315423249_thumb.jpg

World Record rifle is ALSO in Az... :) Ed Stockwell 144 1/8" shot in 1953... I believe that is the score. Barbara and little eddie have the original mount. the antlers were never mounted on the original cape. You can see replicas in the Phoenix Cabelas. However the deer they are mounted on is the WORST body mount I have ever seen

Actually, Ed Stockwell's record antlers were mounted on many capes over the years.

It was remounted every few years at no cost to Ed by taxidermist John Doyle, using capes from his shop. Steinfeld's department store in Tucson had a major gun show every fall, and Stockwell's buck, along with firearms and other big game mounts would be on display in the store's window at Stone and Pennington to promote the show. Doyle felt the B&C record Coues deer deserved the best mount possible.

I used a photo I took of Ed with his record buck when I sketched the line drawing Amanda uses at the top of this forum. If anything, the antlers of Ed's buck were even heavier than I drew them.

Bill Quimby

ABOUT THE COVERAt 130 1/8 points, Sergio Orozcos terrific buck became the typical Coues deer world record after the Pope & Young Club made it official in May 2003. Sergio killed his fine trophy with his bow on Jan. 11, 2001 in Arizonas Unit 34A. The buck should also place high in the top ten entries of the Boone & Crockett Clubs record book.P&Y also presented Sergio with the coveted Ishi Award. Since P&Ys inception in 1961, the club has given out only 16 Ishi Awards, the highest honor the club bestows for a truly outstanding trophy. Cover Photo Courtesy of Sergio Orozco

Unfortunately, I haven't read this book and was wondering if the events on Jan. 11, 2001 are elaborated on?

Great buck. And great genes in that area, huh.

Unfortunately, I haven't read this book and was wondering if the events on Jan. 11, 2001 are elaborated on?

Yup. I originally wrote an article for Rocky Mt. Game & Fish magazine about Sergio's hunt. There's a reprint of that article in the Hunting Tales chapter. Amanda sells the book here.

Yup. I originally wrote an article for Rocky Mt. Game & Fish magazine about Sergio's hunt. There's a reprint of that article in the Hunting Tales chapter. Amanda sells the book here.

Thanks, I just read the story you wrote in 2003 in another section on this site. Excellent,detailed write-up. I'll have to look into getting the book. Thanks again.

Thanks, I just read the story you wrote in 2003 in another section on this site. Excellent,detailed write-up. I'll have to look into getting the book. Thanks again.

Aaahaa. Right. I forgot I let Amanda post it here, as well. The book also contains many other hunting tales from contributors.

Actually, Ed Stockwell's record antlers were mounted on many capes over the years.

It was remounted every few years at no cost to Ed by taxidermist John Doyle, using capes from his shop. Steinfeld's department store in Tucson had a major gun show every fall, and Stockwell's buck, along with firearms and other big game mounts would be on display in the store's window at Stone and Pennington to promote the show. Doyle felt the B&C record Coues deer deserved the best mount possible.

I used a photo I took of Ed with his record buck when I sketched the line drawing Amanda uses at the top of this forum. If anything, the antlers of Ed's buck were even heavier than I drew them.

Bill Quimby

Ya, I knew it was redone every few years. I dont know if you have been in the Cabelas in Phoenix... but the replicas to show them is a puny little deer and a terrible mount.

I have everything I do done at Doyles.

ABOUT THE COVER

At 130 1/8 points, Sergio Orozco’s terrific buck became the typical

Coues deer world record after the Pope & Young Club made it official in

May 2003. Sergio killed his fine trophy with his bow on Jan. 11, 2001

in Arizona’s Unit 34A. The buck should also place high in the top ten

entries of the Boone & Crockett Club’s record book.

P&Y also presented Sergio with the coveted Ishi Award. Since P&Y’s

inception in 1961, the club has given out only 16 Ishi Awards, the

highest honor the club bestows for a truly outstanding trophy.

Cover Photo Courtesy of Sergio Orozco

I've had this book for a couple years and allways enjoy re-reading it... A THX to the authors and contributors!

Also, The buck on the cover is #1 SCI for archery at 144 3/8!

Bill: wasn't there some controversy about the Stockwell deer? That is one loonnnnnngggggggg standing record. But of course, I may confusing it with the record crappie from AZ???

No controversy about Ed and his deer that I know of, but there was a big flap about the non-typical Coues whitetail record. AZGFD accused the hunter of shooting it out of season, and he eventually was forced to donate it to the state. It's on display at SCI's International Wildlife Museum in Tucson.

The Stockwell buck is an extraordinary one with the heaviest typical antlers ever seen on a Coues deer. It may never be beaten.

Bill Quimby

No controversy about Ed and his deer that I know of, but there was a big flap about the non-typical Coues whitetail record. AZGFD accused the hunter of shooting it out of season, and he eventually was forced to donate it to the state. It's on display at SCI's International Wildlife Museum in Tucson.

The Stockwell buck is an extraordinary one with the heaviest typical antlers ever seen on a Coues deer. It may never be beaten.

Bill Quimby

Is that the one from a couple years ago in 36c?