I have only been hunting for about 3 years now and have been mostly interested in putting meat in the freezer, so the whole scoring thing is new to me. What are the basics of field scoring a deer? The area that I have been archery hunting the last couple of years has numerous deer that look very similar to the buck that everyone is scoring in the 100s so I am interested in how to get a fairly accurated rough score on the deer. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

SouthernCouesHunter

Here is your link.Scoring help

Amanda put a pretty easy to use and learn format together. Everyone may have a few quick reference points, like proportion to ears and spread but the rest is pretty quick to judge and get reasonably close after you do a few.

I would add that the bigger they are, does not mean the better they taste!

az4life,

Thanks for the link. I wasn't so much looking to shoot a bigger deer for I am one of those hunters that will shoot at anything with head gear, but to be able to put in my $.02 when these kinds of posts are active. I also was interested in trying to figure out how to measure the herd that I hunt. By looking at the page, I think that by my very limited knowledge of scoring deer, that the herd that I hunt may have several 100+ bucks in it along with several 80-100 bucks. I hope to get some pictures of these bucks and post them put have yet to get one on a trail camera. So far this year, between the 5 of us hunting the area, we have taken 3 bucks. 1 that was a spike with very nice characteristics (Female hunter, 1st shot ever with a bow). The second was a rough scored 85 inch 3 point (plus eyeguards) and the third was a rough scored at 102 inches 6X4 with a broken g2 (after the shot trying to leap over a six foot mesquite). We have spotted and huge 3 point (plus eyeguards) that by the links explanation may go in the upper 110 range. He is about 5 inches outside his ears and has about an 16-18 inch rise. Great mass all the way up. Anyway sorry for rambling, just very intrigued by the forum and very interested in getting more into the exciting talk and hope to be able to share photos and stories of the hunts that we have.

Thanks

Brian

You guys are way more experienced than me but I will guess about 110" on the very last deer. He has awesome eyeguards and very long tines throughout. Just my guess.

I'd have to say low 90's on the 2x3, great G2's! Right G2 looks busted maybe? The other buck around 100". Great pics!!!!