Sign in to follow this  
mattobertin

kimber scope mounts.....

So....I have a little problem here & was wondering if anyone else has delt with any accuracy issues similar to mine. I have a kimber montana in .300wsm with a leupold 6.5-20 mounted on it. Im shooting factory loads until I am able to load my own shells and do that whole thing but the way this guns shooting right now is no where near where it needs to be even with factory shells, which i have tried many brands so im pretty sure thats not the issue. At 200 yards it is all over the place in any which direction (mainly 4-6 inches to the left or the right) which leads me to believe it is a scope issue. Not knowing a whole lot about this type of thing i took the scope off tonight & am looking at this IMO ridiculous kimber ring & base mount. the rear ring is held in place by two opposing flathead set screws into a small groove in the ring. To me that seems like a good place to start looking for my accuracy problem. I may be wrong (good chance) but if anyone has any helpful tips or past experience with this issue i would appreciate some help.

You cheap SOB, get the stock bedded, make sure all rings and bases etc are tight, get the trigger worked on.

If it still doesnt work, give it to me and I'll work my voodoo on it so you can hit the barn from the inside!

You cheap SOB, get the stock bedded, make sure all rings and bases etc are tight, get the trigger worked on.

If it still doesnt work, give it to me and I'll work my voodoo on it so you can hit the barn from the inside!

I wasnt asking you meat gazer! I figured you were still sleeping. Anyway should I have to do all sorts of custom work in order to get a smaller than six inch group at 200 yards out of a Kimber rifle? I didnt think so. Were not talking getting it within 2".

Unfortunately, thats sometimes the gamble of the Montana.

Like I said, give it to me and I'll work my voodoo on it.

Yes, sometimes you have to do work on the Montana to get it to shoot. If it stays that way, send it to Kimber. They will likely re-crown it, and possible rebarrel it.

The montanas are glass bedded and have alum pillars already in them. Just saying

First thing is to make sure that you tighten the action screws correctly. This made a huge difference with my rifle.

Then check the crown and the bedding. The Montanas are bedded with a slave action, so the bedding is poor at best.

If you want to switch out the rings and bases, which I don't blame you, look at the Warne set.

Also note that since this rifle is so light, it's vey sensitive to how you hold it from shot to shot. A trigger job will help with this as well.

First thing is to make sure that you tighten the action screws correctly. This made a huge difference with my rifle.

Then check the crown and the bedding. The Montanas are bedded with a slave action, so the bedding is poor at best.

If you want to switch out the rings and bases, which I don't blame you, look at the Warne set.

Also note that since this rifle is so light, it's vey sensitive to how you hold it from shot to shot. A trigger job will help with this as well.

Thanks for the info i appreciate it. Saves me alot of time as opposed to the trial and error route. I am going to try & set the screws as evenly as possible & if that doesnt work i will be buying new ones. My buddy just bought a scope lapper kit so i will use that and try & dial her in.

Ha ha! Sorry I was not trying to be a smart A! I have a Montana as well and had and kinda still have some issues with it. I finally got a decent group out of it. What helped me out was changing the different torque setting on the action screws made all the difference. I'm shooting a 257 Roberts 84m. I called kimber and they guarantee a 1" group with 3 shots @ 100 yards and a 2" group with 5 shots at a 100 yards. Good luck with yours

Ha ha! Sorry I was not trying to be a smart A! I have a Montana as well and had and kinda still have some issues with it. I finally got a decent group out of it. What helped me out was changing the different torque setting on the action screws made all the difference. I'm shooting a 257 Roberts 84m. I called kimber and they guarantee a 1" group with 3 shots @ 100 yards and a 2" group with 5 shots at a 100 yards. Good luck with yours

How was your grouping before you messed with the screws? was it all over the place? how far off was it?

I am getting 4 shot group with one flyer that goes out quite a bit. The 1,2 and forth shot are there but the third is out. It changess up alot as well.

I prep every peice of brass, weigh, and set my bullet back ten thousands of the lands.

It could be human error on my part!

post-2686-0-27241100-1315665753_thumb.jpg

My shots were in about 5" group right out of the box