deserthntr

which gun and why

I agree with all the reasons given on the 7WSM, especially the higher BC's and a bunch of bullet choices. On the 7mm RM suggestion it is something to think about. If you ever plan a hunt in another country and the airline loses your ammo or you somehow forget it the likelyhood of finding factory loads is very hgh, nt so much with the newer stuff. I have a 7mm Dakota and so far the Berger HVLD 180's are looking pretty good but I know there is also a lot of good reports on the 168's. You can get HSM ammo already loaded with the 168's, would be a good way to start and do barrel breakin and you would have some good once fired brass afterwards.

I like the idea of the 270 wsm but I think I want a little bigger gun for the day I go to africa or Alaska. So the 300 wsm seems the gun I should go with but the 7wsm has better BC's from what I understand. So its a toss up right now. I also kinda want a 7wsm cause I don't hear much about those and like the idea of having something different

Ok, this is where I have to add my two cents... By the time you can afford to go to africa or alaska, getting you your ideal rifle wont seem so expensive (get what I mean?). My recommendation is to go with a .300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag. and spend your money on optics and bullets. There is no sub for practice, practice, practice. Different yardages, uphill, downhill, different temps and altitudes. Remember no matter what gun you have or how much you spend on teh gun itself, I have never seen a gun shoot accurately at long yardage by itself! I have a Savage .300 Win Mag with a muzzle break topped with a good Vortex scope with turrets. I can shoot sub MOA out to 600 yards from the bench and keep all my shots within 1 1/2 MOA out to 800 with most field conditions. I buy decent (but on the inexpensive side) factory ammo and the only other mod I made with my rifle is that I had trigger work done. I have buddies with rifle scope combos in all kinds of whacky calibers that cost 3x what I have in my set up and I smoke them all day long.

Just remember, Practice. If it hurts too bad to do perfect practice, then you are shooting too big a gun.

I love my 7mm mag but if I had it to do over again I would go with a non belted magnum. Reloading for the belted mags have some minor issues. Not a big deal, but if you have your choice of any caliber, why not avoid the hassle? The only reason I went with a Rem 7 mag was because I already had 250+ pieces of brass. At 4-5 firings per brass, that's basically the lifetime of the barrel.

I just loaded up 10 rounds of 162 SST and 10 rounds of 162 AMAX. Going to shoot them tomorrow. Still can't decide on which bullet will my "go-to".

My next barrel on this action will probably be a 7WSM or 300WSM.