Sign in to follow this  
AzVTR

35A Unsettling find today

Went back and attempted to spend some time scouting the backside of the Huachucas 35A yesterday. Found that some of the areas I had intented on getting a good look at that I had hunted last year inhabited by trucks/trailers/people/and other various large equipment some of which I could see and others I could only hear. Apparently the Bear Canyon area is going to be mined for Copper. There are multiple signs posted along the roads stating that a Canada based company called Stratton Resources Inc. has rights to a claim and they are there drilling to do testing for sites, or something of the sort. Went online to their company's site and found a map that shows a fairly large area of the mountains that they are going to be involved with. A lot of good hunting spots being in the claimed area. Perfect timing to come down and start drilling/mining the area during the start of the season. Just posting this so those that may also be hunting this unit can prepare a little. Going to probably be tons of noise, etc.. in that area.

Interesting, I own stock in Stratton Resources. It is suposed to be a up and coming mining company out of Canada. A couple years ago I bought stock in a few Canadian mining companies. Havent made a bunch of money yet, but was hoping to...

Man... that really sucks ! I have that tag this year and this sort of puts a chink in the whole thing. it was bad enough that much of it burned, now we have to deal with copper mining which will tear that place up.

most the burned areas in Southern AZ have been fairly well grown over in the last month. Im not sure how bad that area was burned but the Murphy fire in 36B that went all the way down and over to almost Ruby is hard to tell there was even a fire. very nice and deer everywhere.

• Like 1

As far as the damage from the Monument Fire, there really isn't much back there anymore. I went out the the day they opened roads after the fire and everything was black as could be from the roads up the peaks. However it is now all grown back. Except for the occasional tree with black/burned bark, you would really never know it even burned with how it looks now. Nice and green new growth all the way up.

As far as the damage from the Monument Fire, there really isn't much back there anymore. I went out the the day they opened roads after the fire and everything was black as could be from the roads up the peaks. However it is now all grown back. Except for the occasional tree with black/burned bark, you would really never know it even burned with how it looks now. Nice and green new growth all the way up.

That is how 36B is as well form their fire........

AzVTR,

I understand how you feel about the possibility of a copper mine in your favorite hunting spot, and the disappointment you had when you arrived, but there is two sides to everything. When you drove to your area you probably came in from some other area, an area you live in due to your job. This special hunting spot may be your escape for a couple weekends each year, and you are disappointed to see the change.

For many of us who live down here we see it differently. We see a very small piece of the unit that is already, and hopefully will produce jobs! There is not a great employment base in Cochise/Santa Cruz area once you get out of Sierra Vista and Fort Huachuca. This area desperately needs jobs. The elementary school in our district that sits in that unit has 91% of the students on free and reduced lunches. Like all areas we have our share of free loaders, but we also have a lot of good, hard-working, dedicated people who are unemployed or partially employed.

I don't speek for everyone, but many of us would gladly give up access to this realatively small piece of land in exchange for the potential of quality jobs.

There are a lot of nice deer in that unit, and many more places to hunt. Send me a PM if you are not able to find a starting spot.

AzVTR,

I understand how you feel about the possibility of a copper mine in your favorite hunting spot, and the disappointment you had when you arrived, but there is two sides to everything. When you drove to your area you probably came in from some other area, an area you live in due to your job. This special hunting spot may be your escape for a couple weekends each year, and you are disappointed to see the change.

For many of us who live down here we see it differently. We see a very small piece of the unit that is already, and hopefully will produce jobs! There is not a great employment base in Cochise/Santa Cruz area once you get out of Sierra Vista and Fort Huachuca. This area desperately needs jobs. The elementary school in our district that sits in that unit has 91% of the students on free and reduced lunches. Like all areas we have our share of free loaders, but we also have a lot of good, hard-working, dedicated people who are unemployed or partially employed.

I don't speek for everyone, but many of us would gladly give up access to this realatively small piece of land in exchange for the potential of quality jobs.

There are a lot of nice deer in that unit, and many more places to hunt. Send me a PM if you are not able to find a starting spot.

Pine Donkey,

I think maybe I didn't come across as I had meant to. I am not trying to be gruff against the company mining the area. I am a little disheartened that it is happening in one of my more favored areas in the Huachucas, but not angry or bitter. Like yourself I also am local to the area. I don't come from elsewhere in the state. I've lived here in Sierra Vista since 1986, so I consider here home. I was simply trying to give ample heads up that suddenly there is mining going on back there. 1 month ago I was out there and not a person or piece of equipment to be seen. Yesterday, a full operation in progress. I do hope this operation helps boost our little economy down here but from leasons learned in the past, when larger companies, especially International companies show up they typically bring their own workforce with them. Will there be some jobs given locally, sure, I hope so at least. Probably not as many as most of us would hope. Just trying to give people who drew tags down here a little FYI, that was all.

I'm hoping for good luck too, thanks. I drew the late Nov. day after Thanksgiving hunt. I had the same hunt last year and saw a lot of deer, so here's hoping to similar results. Just gotta get some new thermals. Last year I froze the whole week, lesson learned, lol.

I'm looking to get a leftover for that same hunt... So, if I understand correctly- when a mining company comes in the area is shut down to hunting? or is it still under the 1/4 mile rule?

Not entirely sure but there weren't any No Tresspassing or No Hunting signs signs posted anywhere. I'm assuming that the 1/4 mile from an occupied dwelling rule probably applies here. I'll look into it a little more. I plan on heading back out there on Tues for some more scouting so I'll ask one of the people out there and see what they say. If I find out anything I'll keep you updated.

Usually, mining companies are doing exploratory drilling initially. If they are on pattented mining claims (a type of private property acquired under the Mining Act of 1872)they usually fence off and post the claim. There are thousands of undeveloped pattended mining claims, by modern standards,througout Arizona. It is likely that almost everyone has hunted on one of these old claims without knowing it. Most of the time the drilling only shows the old claim is not economically feasable to mine. However, with copper, gold and silver at or near record highs, there is a renewed interest in these old areas.

As far as hunting in the area of the old claims there are two things to consider. First off, posted private property is off limits unless you get permission to access it. If it is not posted, as most old claims, then they are ok to hunt on. The next issue is shooting within a quarter mile of an occupied structure. That rule always applied wheather it is a house on a mine claim, a reanch, or a cabin in the woods.

You are OK to hunt and shoot right next to a posted piece of property as long as you are off the property and at least a quarter mile from an occupied structure.