Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

SF Peaks Aspens Report

Many of you may like to get out with the family and see the fall colors. I made a quick recon drive to Snow Bowl this evening to check out the status of the aspens. They are still rather green, especially the large groves across from the lower ski run. Aspen corner had a start of change in the smaller trees, but the larger were still green. I would give it another week. Here are some quick snapshots to give you an idea of the colors.

post-6-0-93398700-1317869338_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-74236100-1317869361_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-79816900-1317869376_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-64979000-1317869396_thumb.jpg

The Coconino National Forest reported that the aspens near Hart Prairie were better, so I took in sunset from atop Fern Mountain. I did not see any vivid oranges and reds driving out there or while atop Fern.

Ed800FernMtn-10-14-11_027.jpg

CNF also opened the road up to Lockett Meadow last Thursday, so I got up early Saturday, drove to Lockett and hiked to the Inner Basin for sunrise. Not much color up there in the remaining leaves. The road to Lockett is in better shape than in past years.

Ed800InnerBasin10-15_018.jpg

The aspens near Lockett Meadow still need some time to change, so maybe this coming weekend will be good.

Ed800LockettMeadow10-15_056.jpg

Doug that last pic of Lockett Meadow is better than the one that is in my AZ Highways day planner that shows for next week! The pic they used has more yellow aspens but doesn't have the cool mtn reflection in the water like yours does.

Hey Doug! My husband and I were up cutting wood at the Snow Bowl this last weekend. There were a bunch of photographers at Aspen Corner, I instantly thought of you, I told Roger I'd bet anything that you were out and about taking pictures! It was a beautiful weekend and the colors by the Snow Bowl were fantastic. I too love your pictures of Lockett, we're going to try and get up there tomorrow for a picnic and some hiking!

Ilene, the aspens between Lockett and Inner basin were still green, as you can see. Maybe later in the week or the weekend they should be good. Seems the ones in the neighborhood are turning fast now. Have a nice picnic and hike; the weather sure has been nice for one.

Amanda, i hope to make it up to Lockett in a few days (early Thurs morn?) for another shot at sunrise.

Elk77, thanks.

Doug~RR

Forget the idea of colorful aspens in Locket Meadow this weekend of 10/22. Just a few remaining and the green groves up the valley are now barren. Went there for sunrise this Friday morning. I did try a few star shots reflection off the tank before the sun rose.

Ilene, I hope you still had some leaves if you made it to Lockett this week.

post-6-0-03691200-1319216338_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-52874600-1319216438_thumb.jpg

Dang they sure dropped em fast once they got going. Really like the star shot with the reflection. Thanks for sharing as always great pictures Doug.

Doug, we ended up over in unit 8 scouting for my husband and kids mule deer hunt. I wasn't disappointed though, the oaks were spectacular! We are on our way back out to set up camp and enjoy the colors for a few days! Enjoy your weekend, love love love this time of year!!!