Sign in to follow this  
Catfish Hobo

Baiting

I don't agree with it, but I am sick of guys trying to compare tools like long range rifles and binos or even calling to baiting.

We will have to agree to disagree. My only point here is that hunters who disagree with baiting usually use the "fair chase" arguement. From a bowhunters stand point (I am a bowhunter exclusively), one person's fair chase is another man's easy way out (ie, long range rifles). In other words, I see you using a rifle at 400 yds as an easy way to hunt. You see me as using salt as an easy way out with a bow. Either way, we both are using advantages to fill our tag in each others eyes. To those who spot and stalk with a bow in the desert.... my hat's off to you, because I have done it and it is impossible.

• Like 1

I don't agree with it, but I am sick of guys trying to compare tools like long range rifles and binos or even calling to baiting.

We will have to agree to disagree. My only point here is that hunters who disagree with baiting usually use the "fair chase" arguement. From a bowhunters stand point (I am a bowhunter exclusively), one person's fair chase is another man's easy way out (ie, long range rifles). In other words, I see you using a rifle at 400 yds as an easy way to hunt. You see me as using salt as an easy way out with a bow. Either way, we both are using advantages to fill our tag in each others eyes. To those who spot and stalk with a bow in the desert.... my hat's off to you, because I have done it and it is impossible.

While I do have a rife that allows me to reach out past 400 years. I find it more exciting to close the gap at least close to 200 yards or less. I am not stating, that my view of baiting being less ethical is based on fair chase, it is based on the fact it is a tactic of conditioning big game. Many of the states that have passed rules against baiting have done so because of how the practice on private lands have impacted the behaviors and drawn a good numbers of big game from the surrounding public lands. I would not argue that your complete process is not as demanding. You have to work hard to keep your spot full of candy in order to condition those animals. However, bait is not a tool of hunting. Your tools probably consist of the latest Bow technology, range finder (for taking an ethical shot even though many archers shoot way beyond what many say is ethical), stands and or blinds, the best arrows and broad-heads, and whatever gear helps make you invisible to the game. All those tools effect your behavior as a hunter but none condition or change the behaviors or practices of the animal. This is why you bait, you do the hard work to bring them to you so your hunt is easier with a higher probability for success. If you are trying for trophy fish you might as well be fishing on a fish farm so you already know there are plenty there. Baiting is altering the habitat to condition that is my issue with baiting, but as I stated it is legal and you have a right to enjoy your process does not mean hunters as an entire group have to accept your practices just because the legality. I know plenty of successful Bow hunters who use no stands, blinds, or bait. Very few of these guys do not sit water and prefer to spot and stalk for the thrill of the hunt. It is no big deal to Kill something that thinks they are coming to the dinner table for a treat, but you can validate your methodology how ever you want. Myself and many others will forever feel it is on the razors edge of hunting ethics and is only embraced by those who use the Law as their moral compass. As one Hunting writer stated "legality describes the outside boundaries within which ethical choices are made." Just because something is legal does not make it the most ethical practice. I do believe Americans can embrace this ideal after what has been done to this Country by banks and Corporate America hiding behind the legality of it all.

While I do have a rife that allows me to reach out past 400 years. I find it more exciting to close the gap at least close to 200 yards or less. I am not stating, that my view of baiting being less ethical is based on fair chase, it is based on the fact it is a tactic of conditioning big game. Many of the states that have passed rules against baiting have done so because of how the practice on private lands have impacted the behaviors and drawn a good numbers of big game from the surrounding public lands. I would not argue that your complete process is not as demanding. You have to work hard to keep your spot full of candy in order to condition those animals. However, bait is not a tool of hunting. Your tools probably consist of the latest Bow technology, range finder (for taking an ethical shot even though many archers shoot way beyond what many say is ethical), stands and or blinds, the best arrows and broad-heads, and whatever gear helps make you invisible to the game. All those tools effect your behavior as a hunter but none condition or change the behaviors or practices of the animal. This is why you bait, you do the hard work to bring them to you so your hunt is easier with a higher probability for success. If you are trying for trophy fish you might as well be fishing on a fish farm so you already know there are plenty there. Baiting is altering the habitat to condition that is my issue with baiting, but as I stated it is legal and you have a right to enjoy your process does not mean hunters as an entire group have to accept your practices just because the legality. I know plenty of successful Bow hunters who use no stands, blinds, or bait. Very few of these guys do not sit water and prefer to spot and stalk for the thrill of the hunt. It is no big deal to Kill something that thinks they are coming to the dinner table for a treat, but you can validate your methodology how ever you want. Myself and many others will forever feel it is on the razors edge of hunting ethics and is only embraced by those who use the Law as their moral compass. As one Hunting writer stated "legality describes the outside boundaries within which ethical choices are made." Just because something is legal does not make it the most ethical practice. I do believe Americans can embrace this ideal after what has been done to this Country by banks and Corporate America hiding behind the legality of it all.

Okee dokee. Good luck this upcoming hunting season.

I say go do what you want, and have fun doing it YOUR way. Don't worry what other people think. I'm sure a lot of the same people who stick their nose up to baiting also sit on water holes, use 15x Swaro's, 2 way radios, rifles that shoot 700 yards, plastic elk bugles - and then they preach fair chase...

Well said I have shot a few elk and deer over water with my bow and a deer at 450 yards with a rifle. Had a hoot doing it all and I believe that is all that matters.

Just to make thing fair for the game and test my grit, I save my pee and poo for a month before my hunt, and the morning before I go out, I roll around in it to make myself as stinky as possible. I then get dressed up in my tie-died flourescent gear that has silverware tied to it t give it a nice clanging metal sound every time I step, a cowbell around the neck and head out with the wind at my back. I also hunt with a traditional bow I made out of a 2x6 and a piece of yarn as a string. My arrows are wooden dowells with flint broadheads attached with a glue gun. Anyone who baits, uses tree stands or blinds, wears camo, uses good scent elimination and shoots a modern rifle or compound bow are all just cheating and there is no way they should be able to look themselves in the mirror.

Come on, just hunt and have fun. Do it legally and within your own belief system! Never bash another hunter just because he doesn't do it your way. It is about having fun and sharing those experiences with your kids, grandkids and other friends and family!

• Like 1

We don't need more laws and restrictions imposed on hunting....We do need more education concerning ethical behavior and more positive media coverage of hunting in general. Bickering over a few corn piles and salt licks is useless.... Take up a real issue to discuss..... Lot's of them out there! ;)

I do not have any thing against baiting...It has been proven that it will Not guarantee the big monster will come in most often it is the does and young ones will come in if they learn it is a constant source and should by chance a bigger buck come in it Can also help to attain a better shot I would much rather see someone put a source of something out then what I sat and listened to some Idiots brag about while sitting at the Jacob Lakes restaurant...Slinging arrows hitting deer in the back area they tried to track it but after 50 yards they could not find any more blood so they were headed out to go try for another deer :angry:....

Bait is Far more humane then desperate hail Mary chase them down slinging bullets or arrows at an animal maiming animals that does far more to giving Hunters a bad name then a pile of food or a mineral lick...In my book

Happy hunting and if it is Legal for the state you are in and it helps you make that shot that will put the animal down quickly..don't worry about someone elses book of ethics ;)

• Like 2

I do not have any thing against baiting...It has been proven that it will Not guarantee the big monster will come in most often it is the does and young ones will come in if they learn it is a constant source and should by chance a bigger buck come in it Can also help to attain a better shot I would much rather see someone put a source of something out then what I sat and listened to some Idiots brag about while sitting at the Jacob Lakes restaurant...Slinging arrows hitting deer in the back area they tried to track it but after 50 yards they could not find any more blood so they were headed out to go try for another deer :angry:....

Bait is Far more humane then desperate hail Mary chase them down slinging bullets or arrows at an animal maiming animals that does far more to giving Hunters a bad name then a pile of food or a mineral lick...In my book

Happy hunting and if it is Legal for the state you are in and it helps you make that shot that will put the animal down quickly..don't worry about someone elses book of ethics ;)

I told myself I wasn't going to comment on this post but after reading kninebirddog I couldn't resist to say "well put my friend". :)

TJ

• Like 1

I told myself I wasn't going to comment on this post but after reading kninebirddog I couldn't resist to say "well put my friend". :)

TJ

Whatever method you use, you still only get one deer per calendar year... so does it really matter how the deer gets killed? As long as it is dispatched quickly, who cares what it was doing seconds before?

• Like 1

I remember a while back I was describing to fellow workers (who where "non hunters") about bow hunting deer! When I explained about sitting in a tree stand at a water hole they asked in a disgusted tone if that was legal- and when I told them yes they still didn't believe me! For weeks they spewed about how unfair it was that I would sit at a water hole and poach poor little deer's! Well as I expected that company (out of biz now) was full of Obama supporters.... Libertarded Democrats with little knowledge reality......

In conclusion I suspect that the dim wits complaining about graining , salting or other legal methods of shooting/harvesting/taking deer are of the same political persuasion and need to find some other outdoor activities other than the blood sports my I suggest Frisbee Golf , Geo Trekking or Bird Whatching..... :P