Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

20c hunt

My Pastor and also a good hunting buddy. Yes I am blessed to have a pastor that loves to hunt! Anyway he just got back from two days of hunting and saw only does. Said he ran into a lot of private property. He hunted near peeples valley. He is going back up Monday. I'm thinking of going with him to help him out but I don't know this unit. If anyone is familiar with 20c. Any info is appreciated. He is not afraid to hike. Thanks

For what it's worth, I was able to fill my tag opening day in 20c hunting around Arrastre Creek (sp?) with a two-point southeast of Sourgrass Flats (east of Peeples Valley). However, I had to hike up in the hills a long ways to find any deer, and even then I didn't find a lot of them (about a dozen total, including 3-4 bucks, all small). Most of the deer I found were somewhat high, and feeding mostly on the north-facing sides of the hills with greener forage. However, I found sign off and on pretty much everywhere the brush was open enough for deer to move through. I ended up boning the deer and packing it out about a mile in rough terrain, so I wouldn't recommend this little area to the casual hunter (loose rocks, steep, and brushy. Reminds me a lot of coues hunting :D). There were A LOT of people in the lower areas (Sourgrass Flats, and north towards the Wagoner road--all mentioned on the G&F webpage concerning 20c). But I didn't see anyone else going in as far as I did, at least not the first and second days. I feel your pastor's pain regarding "Private Property" signs. Seems like that's all you ever see in most of that region.

I got drawn for the unit sort of by accident, and this was my first time setting foot in 20c. Interesting unit, but I was personally unable to find many deer, let alone any nice bucks. I had somewhat limited time to scout, and ended up restricting my scouting trips to the areas (high and low) east of highway 89. If anyone has better advice for where to go in the unit, I'm all ears.

Good luck to you both!

My Pastor and also a good hunting buddy. Yes I am blessed to have a pastor that loves to hunt! Anyway he just got back from two days of hunting and saw only does. Said he ran into a lot of private property. He hunted near peeples valley. He is going back up Monday. I'm thinking of going with him to help him out but I don't know this unit. If anyone is familiar with 20c. Any info is appreciated. He is not afraid to hike. Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the replies and pm's! Went up today with my pastor kinda rough day. Lots of rain and even snow up higher! We spent the day scouting out the areas I received from this awesome site. I had to come back this evening because of work. But he has a promising spot picked out for the morning. Hopefully with better weather some better luck!