Sign in to follow this  
ultramag

.270wsm question

I just got into reloading not to long ago so I have a few questions. I have been loading for my .270wsm using nosler accubonds with H4831sc with CCI 250 primers winchester brass. I have been getting great accuracy. I am fine with that. But the load data shows higher velocity than what I am getting by about 200fps slower or so. I have worked up in 1/2 gr increments and the velocity moves up as expected. when close to max load the accuracy drops off quite a bit.I find the most accurate load is 1 gr or lower from max. This isn't that big of an issue just curious if I am missing something? I was expecting to aleast be in the ballpark as far as velocity goes. I am getting about 3070fps with the 130. I dont see any pressure signs.

does the bullet seating depth have an effect on velocity?

I have a RCBS hand priming tool and have noticed that sometimes the primers press in with some slight pressure some seem like no pressure at all. I have cleaned the pockets before priming. I am concerned that the loose primer might blow out or something. any insight on this?

The more I reload the more I realize how little I know about it.

Why load for velocity? If the thing shoots lights out at 1gr below max, go with it. Seating depth affects pressure. The more of the neck you have holding the bearing surface of the bullet the higher the velocities will be. What chronograph are you using? If you are 1 gr below max, you are definitely not on the low range of your velocity spread for that bullet/powder combo.

No Not loading for velocity. I am just surprised,puzzeled at what the data says vs what I am seeing thats all. I am in question of the chrono telling me good numbers or not, don't know how i would prove the chrono right or wrong without have another one to compare it to.. I am on the higher end of powder charge for sure. What I am see is what you could have in just a .270. I need to shoot some factory loads though the chrono and see what velocity they are vs what the manufacture says they are..

Make sure you us your chrono in the middle of the day when the sun is in the highest position. I used mine in the evening and found the velocities fall off as the sun goes down. Another thing is to set it out at 50 feet and see what the velocities are. This should take all the muzzle blast out of the equation.

If you still feel you would like more velocity, try another powder an to a lesser extent the adjust the seating depth.