Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

36A

I bought a left over tag for this unit and was forced to get the 11/4 hunt due to other hunts.

I checked out the map and talked to a few people about the unit. I had been in this unit for archery hunts in the January season only.

Here's what I gathered from some folks. Big deer were able to be found. Magee ranch kept coming up and I was told they had locked all the access and didn't want people in there. Looks like they have the prime higher elevation stuff I like to hunt. The family and I took a drive a drive on the NW end by OJ Ranch road and found locked gates before you get into too far. Ended up scouting an area on the SE side with some friends. Although we liked the country and glassed up about 15 or more deer that morning, I knew it would see a lot of pressure from people and road hunters (lot of roads everywhere).

Upon getting some info from someone else I ended up hunting the first couple days just N of Arivaca. (yea, I'm all over without a good plan). With only spikes found, I ended up going back yesterday to the other spot and came up empty on anything bigger than a small forky. We have glassed up 3 different herds of pigs, coati, and plenty of deer in a very limited amount of time hunting.

So, is this a tough unit or am I just getting a little unlucky?

Also, can you hike into the Magee Ranch, foot traffic only or is it truely off limits? I would have prepared more, but with much more important hunts and only a desire to fill tag with a mediocre buck I didn't. Headed back tomorrow afternoon with some glassing help for the evening for one last attempt at filling this tag.

Also, I believe Jm Mullins totally jinxed me because I read a post of his in his thread the 35s that said he hated 36A. Dang Jim!

Ya there are some decent areas My dad and I hunted it 3 years ago saw tons of dear everyday but only a couple small bucks I would hunt there again if I did a little more scouting! Ill PM you when I get a hold of my dad I dont exactly remember where we were in the unit but you can glass from the road or your best bet is to hike over a couple ridges maybe a mile and glass thats were the bucks are! ;)

It is the toughest of the 36s. Pockets of deer instead of throughout the unit. Are you still going to hunt?

Now, I'll admit I don't know the unit very well. But, with all the mining roads EVERYWHERE, how can you hike a mile and not cross two roads?

i have hunted there before and swore to never go back. the sierritas were jam packed no access. i prefered to hunt the cerro colorados climbed up high from the south west. awesome looking country but after glassing until i was cross eyed i would only go back for javelina

Yeah, I'm going to go out tomorrow after work. We'll be glassing by 3 and I don't plan on being too picky. I didn't plan on holding out like I normally will do on any of my hunts, but I couldn't drop the hammer on a spike. Yesterday morning I told my 12yr old son Dillon I would shoot any buck he glassed up, wouldn't ya know he glassed up the smallest spike I've seen in some time within the first hour of glassing. He fed at 250 yards for over a half hour. I'm prepared to shoot a "meat buck" but I'd like to put more than 10lbs of meat in the freezer :P

I like 36a. Last rifle hunt I was on down there, we glassed up 96 deer in one day. Shot my archery coues in that unit in Sept. Good access, and fairly easy country to work. Just like any unit, if you take the time to invest in it, you will get a reasonable payoff.

"Also, I believe Jm Mullins totally jinxed me because I read a post of his in his thread the 35s that said he hated 36A. Dang Jim! "

HA! Sorry Justin! If a guy just wanted to kill a spike, 36A is the perfect hunt, tons of deer but very very hard to find anything of any size. Truth be known, I don't have enough experience there for anyone to take my $0.02 to heart, but I have spent enough time there to know that I don't like it! :P

There are folks who have little honey holes in 36A and consistently kill decent bucks but I have no clue where those spots are, and I've tried hard in the past to find my own. I personally think that most of the decent or big bucks are found in the vast flat areas that are predominantly Muley country, but you have to rely on lots of luck to bump into those bigger Coues bucks out there.

In 36A, I've had better luck NOT glassing the mountains, but rather getting up on the mountains and glassin the flats. Best of luck if your still hunting Justin! JIM>