Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Early Archery Hunt

I have been applying only for the early archery elk hunt in 22 for the last few years. I know 22 pretty well and have helped on some early hunts in the past with good success. This year I am considering the early archery hunt in 3B as a second choice. I have 5 points so I know it will probably take me a few years to draw either of these hunts. My only experience in unit 3B is in November, and I would say that hunt is fairly marginal. Does anyone have experience on the early hunt?

No way keep your points keep putting in. We have a cabin in 22 under rim and see good bulls come out of there on the early hunts. November archery hunts are tough anywhere in the state doable but tough just my 2 cents.

I guess I should have been a little more clear in my original post. I am considering the 3B EARLY archery hunt as my 2nd choice. In the past I have been on November rifle hunts and it was basically a spike hunt. I was wondering if anyone has hunted 3B on the early archery hunt, and what their thoughts were.

3B is practically in my back yard...Man that's a tough one. There are lots of elk in 3B, and at times there are some very good elk in 3B. I always seem to keep it on tap as a second choice, but it's not what I would consider a "highly desired" unit, by AZ standards.

I'll put it this way, I know a few guys that are locals and grew up here. They know the unit like the back of their hand and are very good hunters. Some of them have had the early tag multiple times, but I haven't seen them take very big bulls. I drew it a long time ago and ate my tag, but that was primarily because I had just started bow hunting knew less than nothing - I was utterly clueless.

On the other hand, it was 3B that just a couple of years ago had so much controversy about the hunter who had the "governor's tag" or auction tag or whatever they're calling it now. He paid a lot of money for the statewide year-round tag, hired a very well respected guide that specializes in other areas, and they ended up shooting a very big bull in 3B. Shot too close to houses it was alleged (and I *think* proven in court). Point being, there are some real toads in there some years. I just think on average, smaller bulls than surrounding units like 1 and 3C.

This wouldn't happen to be Coach Moro would it? You are pretty lucky to get to live where you do. I married a girl from Pinetop and love heading up to the mountain every chance I get.