Sign in to follow this  
lfootmatt

Driving route advice needed

that is great Matt. we were just a little south of you in unit 27. I think my buddy got his elk the same morning (saturday) as Miles. 60 yard shot with a Tikka 270. congrats to Miles!!

Matt: Congratulations to your son, and to you for introducing him to our hunting tradition. He will never forget the day he shot his first elk.

As for me being a legend, not even in my own mind, but I thank you.

Bill Quimby

that is great Matt. we were just a little south of you in unit 27. I think my buddy got his elk the same morning (saturday) as Miles. 60 yard shot with a Tikka 270. congrats to Miles!!

Chris,

Dave mentioned that you were down in 27. Miles put his down just before dark on Saturday. We got some great help from a new friend up there getting it gutted. loaded into his truck and dropped off at the processor. Yes, I do believe we had a bit easier day getting ours out than you did. I was able to find a way through the woods to the meadow and drive right up to it. I told Miles he could go the rest of his life and not get an Elk out that easy again!

We spent Monday and Tuesday trying to get on a 320 5X6 and 340 6X6 but were never able to do more than glass them up. It was a great hunt! I dropped the head and cape off at Stacey Tompkinson's place on Friday. Grandpa is paying for a full shoulder mount! Sweet

I was leaning toward an nice european mount, but it is a good looking bull so it should turn out nicely.

It shure is about time I got one of my boys on an animal!

Now I just need to get them to bag some Coues!

We'll be eating well at the feast this year!!!

Matt

Congrats to Miles on a great first bull! Way to go getting him out there. You'll have trouble prying that Tikka out of his hands. LOL. Congrats on life-long father-son hunting memory.

Congrats to Miles on a great first bull! Way to go getting him out there. You'll have trouble prying that Tikka out of his hands. LOL. Congrats on life-long father-son hunting memory.

I figured as much, might as well stick it under the tree for him. While sighting it in it did a 5 shot group at 100 yards I could cover with a quarter. Not bad for a $475 second hand rifle with factory ammo. I've always been a Remington guy, but that Tikka is pretty sweet!

Thanks,

Matt

Chris,

Dave mentioned that you were down in 27. Miles put his down just before dark on Saturday. We got some great help from a new friend up there getting it gutted. loaded into his truck and dropped off at the processor. Yes, I do believe we had a bit easier day getting ours out than you did. I was able to find a way through the woods to the meadow and drive right up to it. I told Miles he could go the rest of his life and not get an Elk out that easy again!

We spent Monday and Tuesday trying to get on a 320 5X6 and 340 6X6 but were never able to do more than glass them up. It was a great hunt! I dropped the head and cape off at Stacey Tompkinson's place on Friday. Grandpa is paying for a full shoulder mount! Sweet

I was leaning toward an nice european mount, but it is a good looking bull so it should turn out nicely.

Matt

Stacy does great work. You will be very pleased.

What processor did you take it to? We ended up bringing Dan's elk down in two halves (skinned) and taking it to Stacy.

Chris,

Matt

Stacy does great work. You will be very pleased.

What processor did you take it to? We ended up bringing Dan's elk down in two halves (skinned) and taking it to Stacy.

We loaded it whole (gutted) into the pickup and hauled it to Rickeys in Springerville. Needed to go somewhere local since I was staying to hunt more. they accidently caped it out, but did it for free sicen it was their mistake. Stacey said they did an excellent job and didn't make any of the typical mistakes on capes.

Later,

Matt