Sign in to follow this  
deserthntr

20 MOA rails

They work really well if your scope has the adjustment in the moa. I asked 308nut about one a while back and he explained it pretty well. I ended up picking one up for my Rem 700 LA and now I am thinking about going to a 40 moa now because I think I have the adjustment. I basically cants your scope down so for farther shots you can turn your turret up for more adjustment. Im sure others will chime on this topic for more insight!

If you have a scope with target turrets then they are useful. The 20 MOA base would allow for more vertical adjustment, in other words your horizontal cross-hair (and stadia) will have at least 20 more MOA canting the barrel further up while maintaining full field of view in your scope.

If you are simply using a ballistic reticle of some type there is not much point in adding elevation you already have stadia on the reticle that allow you a fixed amount of holdover.

You should not need much more than 20 MOA if you have a scope built for long range shooting and range compensation this is good out to 1,000 yds in most caliber with a scope made for this purpose.

There are a million or so posts on this subject at snipers hide or long range hunting you may want to check there for more details and some of the diagrams/illustrations.

cool thanks, i have a vortex viper, with the mildot and target turrets. so basically it cants your scope down towards the barrel so that you can have your turret dialed in lower, and have more to dial up for your elevation?

Yep, that scope should work fine. I have the Viper PST on my 7mm Dakota and an NXS on my 300RUM that both sit on 1 piece 20 MOA bases. There are no issues to get to 1K and beyond.

Better hurry Nightforce has thier bases on sell right now on Midway USA! I paid around $100 and they are 49.99 depending on what you want and rifle you have.