westernhunter23

Out of State Draw Changes?

It is 16% and it is still too high.... this doesn't even include the LO tags... I still want what AZ has...

Jason

Jason,

What does AZ have that you like? I'm going to put in for NM for the first time this year.....

6% for Non-resident without a guide

10% for Resident OR Non-resident with a guide

84% for Resident without a guide

I hear you on not having land owner tags but I think if that happened it would shut down most of the private land to any type of hunting other than the land owner himself.

Landowner tags do not only go to non residents Jason. Anyone, including you or any other New Mexican can buy them, just have to be willing to pay the going rate. Maybe landowners get a few too many tags, but to do away with landowner tags all together is Stupid. JMO

Theres no maybe about it. "A lot" landowners shouldnt even get a tag! Let alone 1-5 bull tags plus several cow tags for a 40 acres. Really??! I've seen recent years were LO's have recieved a Bull tag with as little as 10 acres. Unit 15 is a perfect example. I have done a fair amount of research on landowner tags in NM. Its totally BS! It screws everyone(the current LO tag system). Especially residents. Easy fix, make LO tags "ranch" only. I have no problem with LO getting tags because there is "evidence" that a particular game animal uses their land for water, food, calving etc... all the criteria that is used to determine if one gets to put in for the landowner tag draw. Then "IF" they get a tag, they can sell it to whoever they want at any price they want. Even under the "old"system NM residents draw odds were awesome(except for a few units). Compare them to AZ. I hunted NM more than my own state(AZ) because the draw odds are better as nonres in NM than as a resident here. Sad.... This will hurt NM in many ways. I have done some quick math and in most units just the nonresident tags(non guided under the old system) generated nearly the same amount of money as the resident tags(just the tags). Never mind the revenue in gas, food, etc.. But if I was a resident I would be excited knowing my draw odds just went up! Congrats to you guys! I might be moving to join ya. Not knockin ya. We need a reciprocal agreement with our neighboring states on big game draws!!

This is a sad day for me considering I spend 3-5 weeks a year hunting NM. :(

Landowner tags do not only go to non residents Jason. Anyone, including you or any other New Mexican can buy them, just have to be willing to pay the going rate. Maybe landowners get a few too many tags, but to do away with landowner tags all together is Stupid. JMO

Stupid is a strong word..

Questions for you.

1) Who owns the animals

2) How many tags can a LO have?

3) Have the number of LO tags gone up and public tags flatlined for antelope?

4) AZ does just fine without LO tags

5) Are these tags even legal according to the Anti-Donation Clause in the State of NM

6) Why are LO afraid of free market trespassing fees instead of subsidy tags?

7) Why should LO get any BULL Tags instead of Cow tags if they are truly concerned about depredation?

8) Do you think hunting should be for those that can afford it?

J

. Compare them to AZ. I hunted NM more than my own state(AZ) because the draw odds are better as nonres in NM than as a resident here. Sad....

I agree.. this is tough but we all have a limited resource...

If you look at the numbers for Antelope in AZ vs NM.. it really shows why AZ residents hunt in NM...

In order to get a AZ Antelope tag I will need to put in 20 years for all the points... I pay 151.25 each year for a license just for the point... sooo 20 x 151.25.... So just to get one AZ goat tag I already have $3025.00 just in fees... Gov. Martinez calls those taxes.. BUT in NM for 1200 I can hunt every year... Just think all the good that 3025 could actually do for the habitat in NM if we had something similar...

J

. Compare them to AZ. I hunted NM more than my own state(AZ) because the draw odds are better as nonres in NM than as a resident here. Sad....

If you look at the numbers for Antelope in AZ vs NM.. it really shows why AZ residents hunt in NM...

In order to get a AZ Antelope tag I will need to put in 20 years for all the points... I pay 151.25 each year for a license just for the point... sooo 20 x 151.25.... So just to get one AZ goat tag I already have $3025.00 just in fees... Gov. Martinez calls those taxes.. BUT in NM for 1200 I can hunt every year... Just think all the good that 3025 could actually do for the habitat in NM if we had something similar...

J

To bad Az doesn't have many antelope. New Mexico has a lot of antelope ... a lot!

J

To bad Az doesn't have many antelope. New Mexico has a lot of antelope ... a lot!

I agree... I sure would like me some AZ Goat... :)

and if you look at the straight numbers over 70% off goat tags go to NR... I wonder how that would fly in AZ...

"and if you look at the straight numbers over 70% off goat tags go to NR... I wonder how that would fly in AZ..."

Jamaro - how do you figure 70% of goat tags go to NR?

A more fair statement may be how many tags are AVAILABLE to residents or AVAILABLE to non-residents. Land Owner tags are AVAILABLE to both residents and non-residents.

According to the Game and Fish website draw results -

Total Antelope tags issued - 1,937

Issued to Residents - 1,557

Issued to non-resident without guide - 225

Issued to non-resident with guide - 155