Wildcatcoueshunter

Desert Mule deer rut

Thanks Shane! I had the kid about 100 yds from a nice 22-23" 4x4 tonite, but had no shot thru the thick creosote and mesquite. He was with 5 does and it was ON! He was all rutted up!! Found 4 different groups of dies yesterday and they all had a bubba buck with them. The other hunter missed a giant twice. It's on, IMO!

I was on a tall and heavy 4 pt with 9 does and a forky with him. He was pushin them but not real crazy. With all those eyes and a swirly wind at the worst time I wasn't able to get closer than 200 yards before they snuck off. They lined themselves out on a ridge and no matter which way I came at em at least 1 could probably see me, but i had to try. I was glad to see something other than a momma's boy buck with the does though, which is what I went after yesterday. 2011 is over for me, but next week I'm out for 8 days...

BigWave, let's see your buck.

Sorry it took a while. We all worked pretty hard to help the HOAL kid get a buck. Several opportunities and a couple missed shots. The kill isn't the most important part of a hunt, or at least it shouldn't be, IMO. The kid, his brother and father all had an awesome experience hunting out there in the desert.

Here's the buck I killed on the 21st. He was with 8 does and was ALL rutted up! Good luck out there guys!!

post-3705-0-65366800-1325541077_thumb.jpg

Was out today, windy. Had a big 4x4 run across road in front of jeep with nose buried in mule deer does behind. Did not pay us no mind. Doe on the other hand, did not want to wait around. She took Mr. Big over a small knoll and was gone in Palo Verde thicket slick as can be. It was a great day to be out. Best of luck to all.