yote sniper

shotgun shell suggestions

Sportsmans Warehouse had the Federal PS BBB's in stock, give'em a call. Supposedly Federal makes the P-Storm in T shot but I've never seen it stocked anywhere.

Regarding chokes for buckshot: Open chokes do work better as stated above. Flight control wads do better with mod/full chokes, extra full chokes apparently hinder the wad design. National Wild Turkey Federation forums have extensive discussion about shotgun patterning but it's geared toward lighter shot.

• Like 1

Sportsmans Warehouse had the Federal PS BBB's in stock, give'em a call. Supposedly Federal makes the P-Storm in T shot but I've never seen it stocked anywhere.

Regarding chokes for buckshot: Open chokes do work better as stated above. Flight control wads do better with mod/full chokes, extra full chokes apparently hinder the wad design. National Wild Turkey Federation forums have extensive discussion about shotgun patterning but it's geared toward lighter shot.

Thanx Swivel - Finally some who actually knows whats up with scatter gun ballistics! :D

• Like 1

• Like 1

I have used everything from #4 Turkey loads to 00 buck. I really don't like anything smaller than BB's for coyotes. In my experience it seems like the smaller shot just can't break bones as well. When skinning the ones shot with turkey loads I found a lot of pellets just under the hide. I know a lot of guys have great luck with them, but I prefer larger pellets. The last few years I have had pretty good luck with the Remington HD BB's. If you catch them on sale they aren't too bad, but normal prices is over $30 a box. I use 3in lead BB's for the really thick stuff where I know the shots will be close, and if I am calling for fox. If I am in more open yote country, I use 3-1/2 #4buck or 3-1/2 HD BB's. The last shot in the mag is always 3-1/2 00buck. I like the larger shot if I have to shoot at a wounded dog running off. I think the most important thing is to know how your gun patterns, and know your limits. I have been lucky a few times at longer ranges, but anymore I keep my shots under 50yds.

• Like 1

If you hit a coyote with a load of buckshot he don't know what choke you used or if the shot is deformed. Most of the time they are real close. It might just scare em to death. Lark.

The great thing about a scattergun is versatality. Having different loads available for varied conditions is a good thing. Me, if the brush is thick and there is no way a shot is going to be beyond 50 yards I'd opt for 00 buckshot. Heavy shot will "dig em out" of this brush very well. Dropping a fast moving dog veiled by brush pleases me. That is the shotguns realm.

• Like 2