buckhunt3r

Rut Reports

Was in 24A Sunday saw 1 4x4 muley with 5 does, saw 1 whitetail buck with 3 does, 9 does by there self.

Be back there on the 27th.

I was going to go up there today but they got a pretty good snow storm up there last night. The rd was closed due to a semi turning over near the pinto valley bridge last night.

you going up today for christmas? or just to hunt?were leaving here pretty soon for my dads, give me a buzz if you get up there maybe we can hook up up there!

Was in 24A Sunday saw 1 4x4 muley with 5 does, saw 1 whitetail buck with 3 does, 9 does by there self.

Be back there on the 27th.

I was going to go up there today but they got a pretty good snow storm up there last night. The rd was closed due to a semi turning over near the pinto valley bridge last night.

you going up today for christmas? or just to hunt?were leaving here pretty soon for my dads, give me a buzz if you get up there maybe we can hook up up there!

I was going up there to hunt. Still trying to fill my archery tag.

saw 1 small 3x3 mule deer with 5 doe's....no rutting though. in 30b

My dad and I camped and planned on hunting the Buenos Aires Refuge for all 3 days we had off, but after seeing around 60 deer and not a single buck we left half way through the second day!:/ We went to try a new spot this morning and what a change. Only saw 10 deer but 2 of them were bucks! The first was a spike on one side and had a little fork on the other; The second buck was a decent Forky and I would not have even thought about not shooting him! Got busted once I got within 100 yards! will be back out there come Monday! Here are some Pics:

3 Does bedded at around 80 yards on the refuge! you can see 2 of their heads popped up in the middle of the picture.

100MEDIAIMAG0174.jpg

A Doe and a fawn we saw 100 yards off the road this morning!

100MEDIAIMAG0177.jpg

This is the second Buck! My dad glassed Him up in his Bed!

100MEDIAIMAG01791.jpg

My dad and I camped and planned on hunting the Buenos Aires Refuge for all 3 days we had off, but after seeing around 60 deer and not a single buck we left half way through the second day!:/ We went to try a new spot this morning and what a change. Only saw 10 deer but 2 of them were bucks! The first was a spike on one side and had a little fork on the other; The second buck was a decent Forky and I would not have even thought about not shooting him! Got busted once I got within 100 yards!

Great report, thanks! and good luck.

Seen a decent 3x3 coues rackin a Bush and following some does around last Saturday. been seeing mulies chasing does around for the past couple weeks. haven't sealed the deal yet tho

Seen a decent 3x3 coues rackin a Bush and following some does around last Saturday. been seeing mulies chasing does around for the past couple weeks. haven't sealed the deal yet tho

You and me both! Got close a couple times but man those deer have some eyes!

Guest akaspecials

I've been in 24b chasing whitetails and saw some rutting activity that first week that season opened. Since then all the bucks I've seen have been solo and all the does have been lacking bucks. I think the count for this weekend was 6 or 7 solo bucks and 40 or so does...

I've been in 24b chasing whitetails and saw some rutting activity that first week that season opened. Since then all the bucks I've seen have been solo and all the does have been lacking bucks. I think the count for this weekend was 6 or 7 solo bucks and 40 or so does...

Thanks! Thats darn good data! But, gotta hope for some rut action heating up quick for these last few days. Best of luck to all.

The bucks were up and cruising/chasing all day long where we were Monday. Watched one buck tend a doe, make scrapes and rubs and run other bucks off for almost 4 hours. Rut is in full swing in Southern Az for the Coues.

After doing a lot of searching on the net, i have yet to come up with any truely good rut reports that get in to specifics of the rut statusw in the southwest. specifically for us coues hunters in the arizona and new mexico area. Have you been seeing any rut activity? what kinds?

I have been hunting 35A and have not seen any bucks following the doe herds yet, but i have seen a buck rubbing and scraping, and no bacelor groups. any good rut activity you guys have seen?

I just spent the last couple weeks in 24A and can tell you that the rut is not happening as of lately. I sat in a treestand for many hours and had multiple does with fawns in tow. In all the hours sitting I witnessed a smaller 6 pointer chase a doe away from a group of 3 does and 2 fawns. The following day I had the same does and fawns back in minus the doe that was chased. It wasn't ten minutes and the doe that was chased the following day was back in with the group with no buck in tow. By the looks of her backside she wasn't bred. I think the young buck was premature with chasing her and abandoned mission was he realized the time wasn't right. My $.02 on the rut in my area is it has yet to begin. It can only get better in the next few weeks.

After doing a lot of searching on the net, i have yet to come up with any truely good rut reports that get in to specifics of the rut statusw in the southwest. specifically for us coues hunters in the arizona and new mexico area. Have you been seeing any rut activity? what kinds?

I have been hunting 35A and have not seen any bucks following the doe herds yet, but i have seen a buck rubbing and scraping, and no bacelor groups. any good rut activity you guys have seen?

I just spent the last couple weeks in 24A and can tell you that the rut is not happening as of lately. I sat in a treestand for many hours and had multiple does with fawns in tow. In all the hours sitting I witnessed a smaller 6 pointer chase a doe away from a group of 3 does and 2 fawns. The following day I had the same does and fawns back in minus the doe that was chased. It wasn't ten minutes and the doe that was chased the following day was back in with the group with no buck in tow. By the looks of her backside she wasn't bred. I think the young buck was premature with chasing her and abandoned mission was he realized the time wasn't right. My $.02 on the rut in my area is it has yet to begin. It can only get better in the next few weeks.

You can tell they are bred by looking at their backside?!? :huh:

I raised whitetail for 10 years in Minnesota and also have been an avid trialcammer for 20 years. By looking at the hair on the rump end of the does you can pretty much determine if they've been bred recently. Of course daily observation is key here as there are other reasons for the rump hair being disturbed (fighting, pecking order type play), but if you have been watching the deer closely via trailcams, or physically viewing them you'll be able to determine by the activity of the deer and the disturbed rump hair. When the doe came back from being chased by the 6 pointer I could obviously conclude that she wasn't bred. Believe me, you'll know by the rump hair if you pay attention. The bucks hoofs will ruff up the hide good when breeding. My opinion after many years of witnessing whitetail behavior. ;)

where at in MN? My dad and I have been raising whitetails since 1991 in central ND, east of Bismarck. He's only got a few now, but used to have a bunch when I was younger. Interesting observation on the rump hair, never paid enough attention to that I guess!