Sign in to follow this  
apache12

drt ammo

anyone shot this ammo? Any thoughts on it's use in 223 for coues

I'm not sure how I feel about a highly frangible bullet on a big game animal. Even if it is a coues. I have been working up a load with the barnes tsx for coues. The tsx is solid copper and will retain almost 100% of it's weight as well as expand reliably. The .223 needs every bit of help it can get. The barnes tsx is a proven deer killer in .223 (lots of whitetails killed back east with them) as long as you keep the shots relatively close and stay disciplined.

I just don't think something advertised as "frangible" would be good in such a small caliber unless you're shooting yotes. A bad shot might turn into a lost buck.

Just my thought process. Google barnes tsx .223 and look at some of the deer being killed with them. Keep the frangible blow up on impact stuff for varmint calling.

I'm not sure how I feel about a highly frangible bullet on a big game animal. Even if it is a coues. I have been working up a load with the barnes tsx for coues. The tsx is solid copper and will retain almost 100% of it's weight as well as expand reliably. The .223 needs every bit of help it can get. The barnes tsx is a proven deer killer in .223 (lots of whitetails killed back east with them) as long as you keep the shots relatively close and stay disciplined.

I just don't think something advertised as "frangible" would be good in such a small caliber unless you're shooting yotes. A bad shot might turn into a lost buck.

Just my thought process. Google barnes tsx .223 and look at some of the deer being killed with them. Keep the frangible blow up on impact stuff for varmint calling.

can you explain more about why frangible might result on a poor kill. I didn't know anything about this type of bullet before, but it appears like it would provide more energy transfer and more often a quicker kill, but I am not very knowledgable with bullets so if you can explain more that'd be great.

What happens if you need penetration? 1/4ing away shot, through the shoulder etc.

As a general rule of thumb, the frangiable bullets are reserved for 'messy' kills. Prarie dogs, gophers, coyotes etc.

For big game, even thin skinned deer, a controlled expansion bullet is normally best. I have used a VLD for deer, it worked well, but the deer lived for 25 minutes or so after a double lung hit (back of the lungs, but lungs none the less). Especially if using a .223 it will work, yes but it is basically bare minimum. Step up to a 243, 25-06 etc. Those are great choices (I'm a .25 and .27 caliber fan).

take a look at the Barnes TSX or nosler partition ;) or if you want2 have ALOT of tiny shrapnel in yur meat use the drt ammo :blink: my brother hunts coues w/223 I load the barnes tsx fr him he has taken many deer your gona want a bullet that'll hold together and not come apart but still do max damage &quick,clean kills or fr +3ooyd shots,1/4ing shots go w/bigger cal like the 243win,25,338lapua,50bmg j/k :D

take a look at the Barnes TSX or nosler partition ;) or if you want2 have ALOT of tiny shrapnel in yur meat use the dirt ammo :blink: my brother hunts coues w/223 I load the barnes tsx fr him he has taken many deer your gona want a bullet that'll hold together and not come apart but still do max damage &quick,clean kills or fr +3ooyd shots,1/4ing shots go w/bigger cal like the 243win,25,338lapua,50bmg j/k :D

I actually have a friend who hunts all his big game with a .338 lapua magnum. It's a custom Weatherby Mark V, as long as he sticks to a solid copper bullet not purposed for expansion it doesnt do too bad. Of course, there arent differing levels of deadness, but if there were, the coues he kills with that would be classified 'extra dead.'

On topic, frangible bullets are no-nos for big game (and coues too :)) Stick with a TSX, it will get the job done @ 200 yards and closer (watch the wind, in my experience those little 50-55 grain bullets moce around a LOT even with a 5mph cross breeze.Enough to mean the differnece between a trophy and a wounded animal, that's for sure.)

I killed 12 animals in Africa all with the 168 TTSX from the 300 wsm and they all worked perfectly, animales ranging from black springbok to Kudu....

I wouldnt agree with the above post at all, they work wonders. I managed to recover 3 last year and all are perfect.

nosajpo,

Barnes recommends something like an 1800 minimum velocity for expansion for the tsx, and slightly lower for the ttsx. It's important that you know how fast your stuff is moving before you shoot at the longer ranges. Not only for expansion reasons, but it helps when trying to figure out drift.

I always print out a trajectory table with velocities and wind drift and tape it to my buttstock. I wouldn't hesitate to use the .223 on coues with a tsx load if I shot within the effective range.

How far were your shots in Africa? My guess would be close up in which case barnes work just fine. Seems they need high velocity to expand.

I shot a Coues buck at 542 yards with a custom handload shooting 150 grain Barnes TSX and the recovered bullet (only stopped by the opposite shoulder) exhibited textbook expansion. At that range I believ the load I was shooting would be down to 1800 +/- 100fps due to variances in temp, atmosphere, load, etc...

I have also used Barnes (168 TTSX) on an Elk at 312 yards and they, again, demonstrated textbook penetration and controlled mushrooming. Devestating wound chanel, though not a huge waste of meat.