Sign in to follow this  
JLW

private property

Wait, is it not our responsability to know where we are? Did you make sure the area you were hunting was public land? We have to do our part too when we hunt. Not trying to cause a hassle, just a private land owner who gets alot of hunters on private land, even with marked fencing and gates. Im not an arse to the folks who roll by, just gets old asking people to leave. Maps and online sources clearly state the land as private, so if said hunters would just look it up, they would see it. Just another point to look at.

I love these debates when they are being discussed here. It really is a interesting topic IMO. I have seen it and lived it from both sides. A lot of land owners a jerks period. A lot of hunters a jerks period.

It truly goes both ways. Yes the hunter has responsibility to know if they are on private land or not. But the land owner has just as much responsibility to keep there land posted.

For example my best friend (he is like my brother) and his family have a good sized ranch here in Arizona. Its something like 60 sections. A few years back I was hunting Coues with him and his brother in law on his private property. We had glassed up a nice buck and the buck moved over the ridge. We were working our way toward the buck hoping his brother in law could get a shot at him. Before we could get to him we heard a shot from the side of the ridge the buck moved to. We toped the ridge and saw two hunters that killed the buck we were after. We walked over to them and talked to them a little. My friend informed them that they were on private property but he also told them that HIS land was not properly marked so not to worry. He just told them as a poin of information. He told them that if he and his family really wanted to keep hunters out they should have their land properly posted. He shook the hunters hands congratulated them on their kill and we all went on about our way.

My friend could have been a jerk and raised all kinds of heck about them being there and all that. But the way he looked at it was if he really didn't want people on their land he and his family needed to do their part first and post their land to the letter of the law......period.

In my opinion it all comes down to personal responsibility.

The Trespassing Laws here are much better than in Wy for hunters. There the property does not have to be posted, there can be a 1 acre patch in the middle of public ground and if you go on it the property owner can have you cited, no signs, orange posts, no nothing. I like the laws here and go out of my way to respect property owners.

• Like 1

I pretty sure that in CO that it's the Hunters responsibilty to know where they are. The land owner doesn't have to post there land as private. I like the laws here in AZ and respect private land, if I don't have premission or it not public I don't hunt it. Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

Wait, is it not our responsability to know where we are? Did you make sure the area you were hunting was public land? We have to do our part too when we hunt. Not trying to cause a hassle, just a private land owner who gets alot of hunters on private land, even with marked fencing and gates. Im not an arse to the folks who roll by, just gets old asking people to leave. Maps and online sources clearly state the land as private, so if said hunters would just look it up, they would see it. Just another point to look at.

the fact is we cross private property often while hunting. from my experience if they don't want you there they will post it. I will even help him hang the signs! He could have bought some signs instead of a trail cam at his gate. There are fences everywhere even in the forest but bottom line law says they must post it if they don't want you there! If I had driven up and there was a sign that said private property I would have turned around! It's posted when you turn onto dugas rd that you are entering prescott nt'l forest. I new there was private property, but often times they let you pass through to get to public land.

james

the fact is we cross private property often while hunting. from my experience if they don't want you there they will post it. I will even help him hang the signs! He could have bought some signs instead of a trail cam at his gate. There are fences everywhere even in the forest but bottom line law says they must post it if they don't want you there! If I had driven up and there was a sign that said private property I would have turned around! It's posted when you turn onto dugas rd that you are entering prescott nt'l forest. I new there was private property, but often times they let you pass through to get to public land.

james

Every situation is going to be different for sure. A land owner doesnt have to be nice, but doesnt have to be an acehole either. With asking hunters to leave property, I have come to realize my role as a hunter to know where I am and where I plan on traveling. I dont want to come up on a situation like having the land owner "arrest" you. You can imagine having a large parcel of land and having to fence and sign it, thats alot of money. Besides, a fence or gate that is marked is not going to stop someone from jumping it. I have had people come by and ask to hunt, and every time they have we have said yes. Asking permission goes along way, but only if you know its private land. I see it from both sides and it sucks.

I pretty sure that in CO that it's the Hunters responsibilty to know where they are. The land owner doesn't have to post there land as private. I like the laws here in AZ and respect private land, if I don't have premission or it not public I don't hunt it. Just my 2 cents

Real Property laws are state laws! County laws do not supersede state laws concerning real estate issues! Bill Quimby posted the Arizona law concerning posting of private property...He is correct! ;)