Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

Closest stalk yet

So I made a binocular adapter for my tripod which made a huge difference in glassing. I was hoping to see some piggies, but only found a few groups of mule deer does. I kept glassing back from one group to another. I went back to the middle group of does and a nice three point buck had magically materialized. I figured he would chase the does over the hill and out of sight. Within 5 minutes of spotting them they all bedded down right across the wash. Just realizing I was going to get to try a stalk got my heart pumping like crazy. I cut the distance to 150 yards and could still see the buck and does. They had no idea I was there, but then one of the does gets up and the buck follows. The actually cut right in front of me, but it was too far for a shot, plus there was brush between us. It was awesome to see the rack bobbing up and down above the vegetation. I kept sneaking in until the wind changed. When I started out it was perfect, but ended up blowing right at my back. I decided to pull back to the other side of the wash to find them again. They were pretty close to where I left them, but a little higher. Then the buck chased a doe over the hill.

It was a kick even though I didn’t get a shot. I wish I would have been a little more aggressive the first half of the stock so I could have closed the distance more quickly. Seems like if you go in to slow they move by the time you get there, and if you go to fast they bust you.

Keep after it! Sounds like you are doing the right things, just circumstances are getting in the way. You keep having opportunities like that, and something good is bound to happen. The balance of patience and agression is a fine one. Good Luck and let us know how the rest of your season goes!

Nick

Sweet story! The balance between patience and aggression is called LUCK! Keep at it. One of those carp will mess up and walk into an arrow!

I chased a nice buck today too and he would not stop walking! He was all by himself and I spotted him walking and I started after him but he just kept on going. It is amazing how much ground these animals can cover! A fat old man like me just can't keep up.