Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Calling with my old man

For the first time, I talked my dad into going out predator calling with me! Him having a Monday-Friday job, and me... well.... not, its made it hard to get out with him but we made it happen today.

On our first stand was dry, minus a low, fast flying hawk that gave us both a dose of adrenaline.

Walking into our second stand, dad saw a mule deer buck at about 150 yards, he looked through his binos and affirmed it was a buck. I told him to get his bow as he has a tag and I knew he'd be a comin'... About 5 minutes later, that little buck and 4 does are standing 20 yards away....

The next stand we are on the edge of a large wash, about 250 +/- yards wide. After my second set on the call, I see a coyote coming in at a pretty good clip...

"Dad theres a dog, see it?"

"No, where?"

"In the bottom, about 125 out."

"Ok, got it." (he doesnt raise his gun)

"Well f@!#ING kill it!"

Boom..miss

Boom..miss

Boom..miss.... etc

The next stand, at about 8 minutes in, we see a coyote dart in, then dart out leaving as fast as she came in. We both stood up, but didnt make a sound, just stood there and listened. About a minute later, I see her stick her head/shoulder out from behind a bush at 90-100 yards. I pull up my AR-15, put it on her and squeeze the trigger. We hear the dog yelp, and run off. We look at each other with puzzled looks, not know exactly what just happened. I have my dad stand where I was to mark the spot. As soon as I get there, I see a good amount of bright red blood and I knew the tracking job wouldnt be long. About 50-60 yards later, there she is! After carrying her back to where my dad was, it looked like I had heart shot her. Entry was low in the shoulder, exit was about middle shoulder, the 68 grain Hornady BTHP left a silver dollar size exit and worked great! I estimate she only ran for 2-3 seconds before falling over dead.

coyotedad112.jpg

It was a great way to start off the new year. Thanks for going with me dad! Hope we do it alot more!

Paint job is pretty neat isn't it! I think the camo on the gun is what allowed me to kill this coyote. With out it, I might not have killed her. Thanks to the artist, its a killin machine now.

That's a great picture of you Casey. Making memories with Dad doesn't get any better. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ