Bravo

Bighorn Guide

Brian is right on in his assessment of the 20% pass rule on sheep in AZ!

If you are in the max bonus point pool for sheep, you'll actually get two chances to draw a sheep tag. First one will be during the 20% pass draw, the other in the regular draw.

Alll the rest of us poor saps only get one crack, the regular draw.

Don Martin

Hunter Education Instructor

Kingman

Even if one doesn't have max points, it's still possible to get drawn in the 20% pass and get two chances. It might be rare, but here's how.

Let's assume for hypothetical purposes, that there are 150 with max points. We will also have to assume a good numbger of them are NRs. During the 20% pass for sheep, there is total NUMBER OF PERMITS for ALL units and NOT for each hunt #.

So they start by looking at the lowest number and check both the 1st and 2nd choices. Obviously, many with really low numbers are going to get lucky early on. BUT.... as the process continues fewer of those remaining will get a permit for two reasons: 1. Their No 1 & 2 choices are NOT for units with permits remaining 2.The NR cap has already been reached for either the total or for the units they applied for.

So once those with the highest BP total are no longer relevant, they move to those with the next highest total, and so on through the list until they have an app for any remaining permits in the 20% pass.

In the case of No 1, those apps are issued a new number and go to the 1-2 pass. In the case of No. 2 the apps for any NRs who cannot possibly draw a permit any longer because of either the total cap or hunt cap are eliminated from the draw completely.

So it's possible for a NR with MAX points to NOT be included in the next pass.

Let's assume for hypothetical purposes, that there are 150 with max points. We will also have to assume a good numbger of them are NRs.

I realize that yours is just a hypothetical example, but in reality (and as surprising as it may be) only 10 of the max point holders are non-residents (177 residents).

For an outfitter check out Double H Outfitters with Chris Harlow. The specific guides you would want to be involved are Matt Liljenquist and Randy Liljenquist. Randy has taken the North American super slam with a bow, and Matt has (or had) the New Mexico state record bighorn with a bow, and a big desert sheep from Arizona that I recall scored 175 from a mid tier unit. Matt and Randy are awesome guys as well. Both of them helped my 14 year old son get his ram on a tight timetable.

Here is a video of Matt's NM bighorn hunt:

I know this is an old thread but I couldn't help but point out that there's a new sheep hunting outfit(Arizona Desert Outfitters) but same veteran hunters.They might just be the best team of guides for 2014. Troy Scott, Eric Hunt & Travis Scott and the rest of there crew did an incredible job this year producing 5 172+ rams & a 180+ ram from 5 different western units in about 10-12 total days hunting. They guided 7 in total. I'd say that's pretty remarkable.

• Like 3

Which guides have a discount coupon? I can't wait to go hunt sheep with a bow!

I like DOUBLE H on facebook, but their internet website should say ... "don't look here, go to our Facebook pics!"

I can't seem to find (in Az draw odds/success results) where they show the hunters number of bonus points? Anyone know what page it's on?

FOUND it ! One of the early pages!

PS:  Every year MANY tags for bighorn go to people with 12 pts or less!  Look it up for yourself and see.  The system for draw is weak for high point holders.