Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Welker

Bob Housholder Books

I'm hoping Messrs. Quimby, Mandile, and others can help with this one. Like many on this forum, I enjoy reading books that recount hunting and fishing adventures - especially in Arizona. One of the reasons I enjoy Bill's "Sixty Years a Hunter" and Tony's "Coues Deer" is that many of the wonderful hunts they chronicle occured in Arizona. I've heard that Bob Housholder wrote a few books and I assume they involve hunting in Arizona at some level. I've looked in the usual places and can't find much in the way of a bibliography for Mr. Housholder. Any suggestions on how to determine what Bob Housholder actually published and where copies might be purchased would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you.

Jeff:

Most of Bob's "books" were thin pamphlets of 24 pages or so that he self-published. His book on desert sheep has become quite collectable. There's a hunting book dealer called Hunter Books near you that probably can find it and others for you. It's a two-man operation, and the partner in the Phoenix area is a fellow named Norden van Horne. Phone: 952-474-5780. Email: orders@hunterbooks.com Tell Norden I recommended him.

Bill Quimby

Jeff:

Most of Bob's "books" were thin pamphlets of 24 pages or so that he self-published. His book on desert sheep has become quite collectable. There's a hunting book dealer called Hunter Books near you that probably can find it and others for you. It's a two-man operation, and the partner in the Phoenix area is a fellow named Norden van Horne. Phone: 952-474-5780. Email: orders@hunterbooks.com Tell Norden I recommended him.

Bill Quimby

Thanks Bill, I will contact Norden next week. Besides yourself, Housholder, and O'Connor, are there other authors that have published tomes chronicling hunting exploits in Arizona? I have a couple of Bob Hirsch's pamphlet/soft bound "books" on fishing the rim, etc. just wondering what was out there. Arizona has such an interesting hunting history/heritage, I would think someone (how about you Bill?) would write a history; or do you consider the "Arizona Wildlife Trophies" books to be a form of that history/story telling?

Amazon.com has a copy of Housholder's "Hunting and Guiding for Desert Sheep in Arizona" for $150. I've seen it sell for as much as $300.

I knew him very well, and served as a judge on a panel for the award he gave to distinguished Arizona guides. As with everyone else, I was shocked when he was charged with some disgusting things involving children.

The following is from my files:

From three Arizona Republic articles about Bob Housholder, the founder of the Grand Slam Club in 1956. Among his club’s first chapters were the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep and the Arizona Desert Bighorn Society:

"Hunter arrested in morals case," dateline Phoenix, March 26, 1983, describes how Housholder, 61 at the time, was arrested for what police said was "investigation of taking photographs of a seminude 14-year-old girl and molesting two girls." He was booked on charges of exploitation of a minor, sexual abuse and furnishing harmful items to minors.

"Police believe Housholder asked two 14-year-old girls and two 10-year-old girls to pose nude or seminude for him and showed them photos of either naked people or sexual acts," the article reported.

"One of the 14-year-old girls allegedly posed for him, and he allegedly pinched two of the girls, Sgt. Brad Thiss, police spokesman said."

"The acts allegedly occurred at Housholder's home betwen April 1982 and this month. Housholder exhibits an animal collection at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. He was the first Arizonan to bag all 26 species of North American big game," the article said.

Another article outlined a plea bargain that resolved the case. Headlined "Outdoorsman sentenced in sex-photo case," it said Housholder was sentenced to three years' probation for a misdemeanor charge of showing sexually explicit photographs to a minor. He also was ordered to have no contact with anyone younger than 18 years old and to undergo mental health counseling.

"Housholder pleaded no contest to a charge of attempting to furnish obscene or harmful items to minors with the agreement that no other charges would be filed in connection with the case," the article said.

A 14-year-old model allegedly told police she had posed nude 10 times for Housholder since August 1982.

"Housholder admitted to court officials that he took the photographs but said he 'did not know she was as young as she was' because he previously had seen her buy beer," the article said.

Although Arizona secretary of state Wesley Bolin and a former U.S. congressman from Arizona wrote letters supporting Housholder, he was asked to resign from his job as an administrative assistant with the Arizona Department of Transportation.

The third article, "Coroner's aide allegedly loaned out slain girl's photos," was published in 1985. The Republic said police documents cleaimed Eloy Ysasi provided Housholder with photos of the corpse of a murdered 8-year-old girl on an autopsy table. Police said Housholder told them he wanted the photos to discourage children from hitchhiking. Some of the photos allegedly were explicit closeups, but the aide denied providing them to Housholder.

I have not seen a follow-up article to this charge, but I do know that Housholder was never sentenced to jail. He died a few years later.

Bill Quimby

Holy Smokes Bill - I never new about these charges. I remember as a kid going to Phx Suns games at the purple palace and seeing Bob's animal displays. My dad used to tell me Housholder was the best hunter in Arizona. Unfortunate for everyone involved. Sorry to hear that things did not end well for Mr. Housholder. Certainly taints his Grand Slam and Arizona Big Ten contributions.

Jeff:

Bill Quimby

Thanks Bill, I will contact Norden next week. Besides yourself, Housholder, and O'Connor, are there other authors that have published tomes chronicling hunting exploits in Arizona? I have a couple of Bob Hirsch's pamphlet/soft bound "books" on fishing the rim, etc. just wondering what was out there. Arizona has such an interesting hunting history/heritage, I would think someone (how about you Bill?) would write a history; or do you consider the "Arizona Wildlife Trophies" books to be a form of that history/story telling?

I answered you in a note that was so long I was disconnected from the internet and lost everything I'd written. This time, I'll just give you a few names and you can Google them:

AUTHORS

Charles Sheldon.

William T. Hornady,

Kermit Roosevelt

Zane Grey

Jack O'Connor

Felipe Wells

Hunter Wells

David E. Brown

Neal Carmony

Ollie O. Barney Jr.

SUBJECT (not the titles)

The Coronado expedition

Pancho Villa

Ben Lilly

The Lee brothers

Elliot Coues

Onza (a large, mythical Arizona/Mexico cat supposedly the size of a mountain lion)

Mule deer roundup on the North Kaibab

Hi Jolly and camels in Arizona

There are more, but these should keep you busy.

Bill Quimby

now there's a name i ain't heard in awhile. bob turned out to be quite a perv. as i recall the deal with the photos of the little girl who was murdered, eloy let him in to take the photos. whatever the deal was, it was about as disgusting a thing as i've ever heard of. i know a couple guys who won his award. one of em hunted with him some and wasn't at all impressed with his skill. Lark.

Jeff somewhere in my files i have photocopied householders 'the grizzly in arizona' from cover to cover and would be happy to shoot you the scans. just pm me your email address. i am just going to throw it away.

don't miss:

campfires on desert and lava by hornaday

meet mr. grizzly by montague stevens

tough times in rough places by carmony

lee

Insanity runs in the family-it practically gallups!

Jeff, sorry I saw your post from last year just today.

Books by Bob Householder in my library are:

Hunting and Guiding for Desert Sheep in Arizona

Diary of a Big Game Hunter (The stories of his collecting all North American big game animals)

The Grizzly Bear in Arizona

The Black Bear in Arizona

The Wolf in Arizona

Hunting the Arizona Javelina

Bill is correct in that all these are self-published. When I lived in Arizona back in the sixities I would run into him now and again. I believe that's how I obtained them.

Yes, it's very unfortunate how he ended up. There's absolutely no reason at all for his behavior. Never the less he played a part in the Arizona hunting community back then.