Sign in to follow this  
BML

76 hours and counting

Back in late November I ran across a very large herd of javelina in unit 21 while out predator hunting. I went back to the spot and did a full day of scouting and was able to locate a very well used trail that these pigs frequented nearly every day. I set up my trail camera and this is what I got.

PICT0150.jpg

I had pictures of these pigs every single day for almost 5 weeks before the season started. Heck, a lion came through one day and the pigs were still there the very next day!

So about a week before the hunt started I set up my ground blind and anxiously awaited January 1st.

My girlfriend drew her very first big game tag this year and I thought for sure this was going to work and she would at least get a shot at a pig.

First 2 days we sat 19 hours in that blind and no pigs!! lol No big deal, I thought. That's just hunting. Second weekend found us both in the blind for yet another 19 hours and still no pigs!! They just seemed to change up their pattern just enough to have us fooled. So after the second weekend, I decided that sitting trails for pigs was not any fun and I pulled my blind and decided to change tactics.

I have been able to hunt several different days after work until dark. My girlfriend and I just spent all last weekend battling the wind glassing all day Saturday and half of Sunday. Found a new coues deer spot, but still no pigs.

Long story short, I have 76 hours of hunting time chasing these little pigs and still haven't tagged out!! Personally, at this point it has become somewhat comical between my girlfriend and I. She's losing her confidence in her "guide" lol.

She's done for the season, but I still might be able to get out for a couple hours the next couple days after work.

Of course I REALLY WANT TO KILL ONE, but I'm having a blast even with my horrible results so far. :lol: :lol:

Congrats to all of those that have harvested their pigs so far.

probably one of a few things. 1- another hunter busted em up, 2- they're smelling or have already smelled u in the blind which is altering thier normal routine, or 3- that cat u mentioned may have pushed em out. Or, lastly u and your friend may be making too much noise in that blind... :rolleyes: Just kidding.. Usually they dont go far tho in any event. Find a high point in the area and glass around. I usually hear pigs more often before I see em, so listen real good. If they are undisturbed they can be vocal with each other. Especially if they have little ones, babies are usually fairly noisy. Look on south facing hills. We noticed last weekend on our hunt (NM) that the pigs didnt start feeding until late in the AM (like 10:00) when the sun was well up warming things. Went 50% tag fill in camp. I didnt have to gut one this year! Was extrememly disappointed in the lack of quail this year.

I have a pig curse, I only see them when I don't have a tag. I feel your pain, good luck!

:lol: Yep me too!