Sign in to follow this  
TAM

Mexico 2011-12 Season Experiences...

Great job! Love the color of his antlers. Also the character of his mass and extra point. How was the feed overall down there compared to last year? Also how was the rut, strong or spotty! Love your buck!! Congrats

Jay, to me the feed seemed about the same as last year but there was a lot more water. Tanks that were dry last year had water this year and tanks that were low last year were full. As far as the rutting action goes it was "Game on" every day! I watched bucks running does like antelope, and I don't think I saw a buck that was either not with a doe or didn't have it's nose to the ground looking for one. One of the biggest challenges we faced was that the bucks wouldn't stay put long enough to stalk or get set up on them to get them killed. There was no doubt that the rut was on everywhere we looked. We also saw nearly as many bucks as does... very close to a 1:1 ratio. I think we hit the rut perfectly!!!

- Tim

Great job! Love the color of his antlers. Also the character of his mass and extra point. How was the feed overall down there compared to last year? Also how was the rut, strong or spotty! Love your buck!! Congrats

Jay, to me the feed seemed about the same as last year but there was a lot more water. Tanks that were dry last year had water this year and tanks that were low last year were full. As far as the rutting action goes it was "Game on" every day! I watched bucks running does like antelope, and I don't think I saw a buck that was either not with a doe or didn't have it's nose to the ground looking for one. One of the biggest challenges we faced was that the bucks wouldn't stay put long enough to stalk or get set up on them to get them killed. There was no doubt that the rut was on everywhere we looked. We also saw nearly as many bucks as does... very close to a 1:1 ratio. I think we hit the rut perfectly!!!

- Tim

Tim, cool insight and report. We have always found that hunting during the rut is good and bad! Just like what you said you see tons of bucks but they are constantly moving and dont stay put very long in order to put a move on them. This makes for good discussion. Couple of questions, what were the exact dates that you were there? We usually see the most activity in Mexico for rut during the period of January 10-25th and if I had to be precise it would be the 12th-18th. Another question, have you seen those dates be a bust because of warm weather? My answer would be absolutely I have seen it "on" then get hot and it shuts down until it gets cold again. Thoughts? Darr and I debate this stuff all of the time, would be great to hear some other insights and observations. Congrats on a fine buck!

- Tim

Tim, cool insight and report. We have always found that hunting during the rut is good and bad! Just like what you said you see tons of bucks but they are constantly moving and dont stay put very long in order to put a move on them. This makes for good discussion. Couple of questions, what were the exact dates that you were there? We usually see the most activity in Mexico for rut during the period of January 10-25th and if I had to be precise it would be the 12th-18th. Another question, have you seen those dates be a bust because of warm weather? My answer would be absolutely I have seen it "on" then get hot and it shuts down until it gets cold again. Thoughts? Darr and I debate this stuff all of the time, would be great to hear some other insights and observations. Congrats on a fine buck!

Jay, we were there the 19-26th and our ranch was located about an hour south of Hermisillo. I give the ranch location because I think how far north or south the ranch is plays into the prime rut dates. Other ranches I have hunted further north have usually had earlier rut dates. I agree with what you are saying with regards to warm weather but I also believe the moon phase plays into how the deer are acting as well. Just my opinion but cool temps and a New Moon phase make for the best rut hunting. I also think that the rut will seem "spotty" at times because of the presence or lack of presence of a hot doe. You can hunt a spot today with a hot doe and see several good bucks. However when you return the next day and she's been bread all the bucks are gone! When this happens I think a lot of guys will say the rut stopped, or that the moon or warm weather slowed things down. But the truth is that the hot doe in the area got bread and the bucks have just moved out looking for the next doe to rut. Or in other words the rut is still in full swing but the hunter just needs to move and find another hot doe and he'll find more good bucks rutting hard.

Jay - I'm sending you a PM.

- Tim

- Tim

Jay, we were there the 19-26th and our ranch was located about an hour south of Hermisillo. I give the ranch location because I think how far north or south the ranch is plays into the prime rut dates. Other ranches I have hunted further north have usually had earlier rut dates. I agree with what you are saying with regards to warm weather but I also believe the moon phase plays into how the deer are acting as well. Just my opinion but cool temps and a New Moon phase make for the best rut hunting. I also think that the rut will seem "spotty" at times because of the presence or lack of presence of a hot doe. You can hunt a spot today with a hot doe and see several good bucks. However when you return the next day and she's been bread all the bucks are gone! When this happens I think a lot of guys will say the rut stopped, or that the moon or warm weather slowed things down. But the truth is that the hot doe in the area got bread and the bucks have just moved out looking for the next doe to rut. Or in other words the rut is still in full swing but the hunter just needs to move and find another hot doe and he'll find more good bucks rutting hard.

Jay - I'm sending you a PM.

- Tim

Totally agree on location as far as a north/south line goes. But in theory shouldnt the does come into cycle around the same time? Seems the last couple of years the rut has been all over the map and very spotty. Lack of Nutrition? Warm temps? Drought? I agree certainly on the "hot" doe comments! Its pretty cool to watch a group of bucks dog a doe til she finally just lays down and wont get up. Good Stuff....any other observations out there by you Couesheads?

WOW Tim!!! I heard you shot a beautiful buck but had no idea he was that beautiful!!! I LOVE that style and frame, HUGE congrats to you!!!

I just got home from another great trip and we had some serious rut action and easily looked at over 100 bucks. We were about an hour north-east of Hermosillo this time and during the same time frame as TAM. The ranches I was on didn't have the quality I was hoping to find but it was a blast seeing so many bucks and watching the rut at it's finest! I also agree about the north/south line, further south you are the later the rut. Having a hot doe is the key to what you are going to see in any given spot. If there isn't a hot doe around, the bucks will be cruising or taking a break. I also agree when folks see this and think the rut is slow, done or non-existent they don't realize that quite possibly, at the same time, 1 canyon away there is a hot doe with 5 bucks going ballistic! I think the position of the sun is the trigger and probably the reasoning for the north/south differences in rut timing but the weather/temps and moon phase dictate where and when the action takes place. If the timing is right but the temps are hot they will be rutting in the thick bottoms or shady areas out of sight, if it's a full moon the majority will rut hard all night and lay low and rest throughout the day. Cool weather keeps em' active and in the open obviously and the dark moon forces more daytime activity. Figuring out the right time for the certain location you plan on hunting, further north or south, is the tricky part. My $.02 ;) JIM>

We were hunting about 20 miles east of Magdalena and were there from the 6th through the 20th, right during the full moon even though I saw as much if not more movement during this time. We experienced some extremely hot days and also some very cool days. From what we were able to observe was that the rut really got going around 11th and by the 19th was winding down. We also found that it could be smoking hot in one area of the ranch and almost non-existant in another. Funny thing was the bucks seemed to have to be in the right place at the right time as well as I watched smaller bucks breed does with larger bucks a couple canyons over just cruising or laying low. It's hard for me to really decide when the best hunting was though as the later it got the more broke bucks we found and also the harder it was to keep up with them once we found a good one. In one area of the ranch we hardly ever saw the same buck more than once but always saw a minimum of five or six bucks on one hillside. This year was some of the best rutting action I've seen in Mexico and I feel where we were at (north/south) we hit it just right.

On another note just like Jim said I think that the antler growth was below normal this year and I believe it had to do with how dry the ranch was and the lack of browse during the crucial time period for growth. We had tanks that were dry or almost dry that were running over last year.

Anyway just a couple more thoughts on the subject. Sorry to Hi-jack the thread Tim, congratulations again on a great buck!

What's your thoughts or experiences from the 2011-12 Mexico season?

Based on your general location and timing, how was the rut?

If you have prior experience on the same ranch, how was the antler growth this year?

Did you have any issues at the border crossings, checkpoints, etc.?

Did you have any issues with ticks on the capes?

Thanks! JIM>

What's your thoughts or experiences from the 2011-12 Mexico season?

Based on your general location and timing, how was the rut?

If you have prior experience on the same ranch, how was the antler growth this year?

Did you have any issues at the border crossings, checkpoints, etc.?

Did you have any issues with ticks on the capes?

Thanks! JIM>

Jim-I love rehashing after the season and trying to learn as much as I can from my experieinces and th experiences of others. This should be a good discussion.

We went to Mexico twice, first trip was Dec 29th -January 5th (took two hunters and that timframe worked best for them), we saw over 130 bucks. Saw some chasing the last couple of days but mostly small bucks. Our location was in the Arizpe/Baochochi area. We thought the feed look good but the antler growth seemed to be off. Kit harvested a buck right at 110 and his father Paul made a great one shot kill on a 85 inch buck. Antler growth seemed to be down across the board from everyone I talked to who hunted mountain ranches. I have heard of a few good ones in the desert. Border was a smooth as usual. Checkpoints were as smooth as normal. We had just a few ticks on the capes but pulled them off and crossed just fine.

Second trip, just scouting different ranches for next season. January 19th-22nd. Warm temps 75-82. decent rutting activity but it seemed to be really tapering off. I think due to the warm temps. Overall consensus from everyone I have talked to is just a mediocre year. The postives are there should be some holdover bucks that made it through this season and Lord willing with good moisture this spring/summer they will be looking good next year. (that is the optimist in me. I am anxious to hear others insight and input.post-3296-0-32351500-1327950525_thumb.jpg

Here are the pics of Kit's buck.

Jay, that's a fantastic buck. Nice and tall... I love it! Congratulations to your hunter.

Well I am by no means an expert on hunting coues deer in Mexico but we were there the last week of January and we had spotty rutting activity. Most of the bucks chasing does were in the 80" range. It seemed that the bigger bucks were hanging tight waiting for it to heat up. We pretty much decided that we would rather go down the first week of January and catch the bucks still in their bachelor herds. That way when you find a buck you know there are going to be several others around. Only one out of the three of us shot a buck with does.