COOSEFAN

Found a couple more

We snuck out again yesterday to go shed hunting. We started out looking for the bulls that my buddy Bret had found last weekend and then hiked around where they had been. We only found a few old small sheds there and then moved to one of the smaller hills. I went to one side with a good friend, Cary, and Bret went to the other side. Cary has hunted his whole life and has only found two elk sheds! He gets very frustrated about that and thinks he just has bad luck. This frustration has kept him away from shed hunting itself but still goes out once in a while. Cary and I were paralleling each other along the hill when I heard him hootin' and hollerin'! I thought he might have found one of the small brownies we usually find in that spot and figured the excitement in his voice was from finally finding a shed of any size. I ran to him and surprisingly found him holding up a beautiful brown set! He was extremely excited and definitely deserved the find! The funny thing is 5 minutes before he found the sheds, he picked up a horseshoe and stuck it in his pocket, hoping it would change his luck! I doubt he will ever part with that lucky horseshoe! JIM

amshed.jpg

This is Cary with his first set of brownies, notice his lucky horseshoe in his pocket!

caryset2.jpg

caryset.jpg

meandcary.jpg

This is Bret's son Jake, Cary and Bret's Brother Bart.

carysheds002.jpg

sweet sheds, congradulations on some great memories. great pictures too, are those the peaks all the way in the background?

Start em' young... by the time he's an adult he'll have the F-E-V-E-R!

Good job... Enjoyed the pics and the brownies!

AzP&Y

sweet sheds, congradulations on some great memories. great pictures too, are those the peaks all the way in the background?

Yep, them are the Peaks. If someone were to try and find this spot by looking at these pic's, it would be easy if they've been around it before. I'm not worried about it though because everyone and there brother has probably hunted that unit at one time or other, it gets pounded in the fall. There is still some good stuff there though, but I don't particularly like the unit, it always feels "used and abused" there. Thanks, JIM

Looks like you were in 6A around hog hill and round mtn. Nice finds!!!!

Geoff

See, I said it would be easy to figure out where we were! Them pic's are about as good as GPS coordinates! I'm more careful in other units when taking pic's. There is guys out there that will work harder at finding YOUR spot than what it would take to find there own. like I said, that area is good, but it's obviously not a secret spot. The elk had been there, but it's a hard place to shed hunt because they move all around. You have to be on the right hill, at the right time to do much good, and even then, you'll most likely only find little "6a" sheds. That set Cary found is the best ones we've ever found in that unit. I believe you need to drop into some of the huge canyons around there to find some bigger sheds. The only way you'll get me to drop into them is if I had a Coues tag in my pocket! Thanks, Jim

Sweet pickup. I wouldn't part with horseshoe neither :blink:

Now he's got the good luck. . . .!

I'd steal his horseshoe, trade it out for another one, then see what kind of luck he has. . . . if it's no good, then you keep that horseshoe and try to draw a tag this year! :blink:

Now he's got the good luck. . . .!

I'd steal his horseshoe, trade it out for another one, then see what kind of luck he has. . . .  if it's no good, then you keep that horseshoe and try to draw a tag this year! ;)

Good idea, but it would be hard to steal it because he probably sleeps with it! :D

Finding those sheds was a big deal to him and he believes the horseshoe played a big part! Thanks, JIM

Now them are some good memorys to think back on as ya grow old ;)