Sign in to follow this  
couesdiehard

mapping software

I know this topic has come up before but I am looking for folks who have used the "National Geographic TOPO! State" and the "DeLorme Topo 6.0 west regional" topo software and can give opinions of them. I like the looks of the NG maps better, the DeLorme look sort of cartoonish. But they both offer very detailed topos. I love maps and have found that the BLM-Public Lands office in Phx. could make awesome custom 1:24,000 topos for $10 a piece but they have become less customer friendly and I like to make maps when the whim hits me. One thing I loved about the BLM maps was that they showed private and public lands clearly. I don't know if these two softwares are capable of that but they do appear to do a better job of labeling small roads. Let me know what you have experienced.

Lee

I have the national geographic program and really like the way it works. it is perfect for what i want it to do. i dont know the other program you mentioned. i can use the NG program with my garmin gps, and download my tracks and landmarks and see them right on the map. i can also mark a place on the map that i would like to find, and upload it to my gps and be able to find it when i go look for it. Also, the NG program has a new add on disc that allows you to view the maps in 3-d, it is really cool. somewhat like google earth.

the best thing about it is that i will never have to buy another topo map again, i can simply print out whatever i need.

I have the Delorme 3D Topoquads 2.0 It is specific to Arizona. I like it because it is the only software that comes on one single DVD, no disk swapping. It does not do private vs public land though. The Maptech software does though, I think.

I use NG TOPO! and love it. Haven't used the Delorme one, but I have used several others and NG has been the best I have used. Changing discs isn't a big issue, although sometimes if you are looking at an area that is on the edge of the regions it can be annoying. Usually you only need one disc and it's not a problem.

Amanda

I also use the NG topo. I haven't used any of the others. There's a few things I think Topo could do better, and I wish the maps were more current, but it works well. As was said before, I can take my gps out, come back, and download my tracks and waypoints. The updated version (3.3, I think) allows you to put notes and embed pictures in the notes. I pretty much use this for scouting now. Just upload pictures taken of an area or things found/seen at a certain area. If there's someplace I want to check out I can just make waypoints and such and upload them to my gps.

I tend to wear out maps quick, so it's nice to be able to print out maps and not have to worry about destroying a $4-$10 USGS topo map. I like to overlay the UTM grids on the maps also so that it's easier to determine position on the maps while out in the field. I have an older GPS (Garmim GPS12) without any mapping capability.

If I'm going to be driving around a lot checking things out while scouting, I can hook my gps up to my laptop and have it track my current position. This is handy for going to completely new areas or just going for drives in new areas. It helps to identify what road on the topo maps you are currently on.

In regards to swapping out cds with Topo, I just put the cd's I most often use on my hard drive. It's much quicker and does away with swapping out cd's.

Ron

Thanks to all for the input. Will use the info when puchasing the software.

Lee

I have TOPO with all the discs loaded to the hard drive in my laptop. I plug in the Garmin Vista and have real time navigation while out in the boonies. I have no experience with DeLorme.

To all that replied;

Thanks for your input and I thought the idea of getting the whole western United States for $49 was a great deal so I went and bought the DeLorme Topo USA version 6.0. Brother, am I disappointed! It is missing tons of information. For example I brought up several areas that I have BLM custom topos for and compared and tanks, roads, fencelines, windmills, etc. are missing from the DeLorme software by the dozens. I am going to return it and get the National Geographic program. Oh well, live and learn.

Lee

P.S.

The items that are missing on the DeLorme software do show up on the National Geographic.

Lee