Sign in to follow this  
JMP

Looking for advice on a 6.5x284

I'm looking to get a new Coues deer rifle, and have tentatively settled on the 6.5x284. I've got a budget of about $1000 for the rifle, which excludes anything custom made. The only factory gun I can really find in this caliber is the Savage Long Range Hunter.

Anyone have any experience with this rifle? Should I expect MOA, or will this go sub?

Are there other factory rifles I should consider?

Thanks for your help.

You can find a used rifle of your choice and buy a custom barrel and have it chambered in 6.5x284. Depending on what used rifle you purchase and who you get the barrel from you should be pretty close to your $1,000 budget. Everything I've read about 6.5s says pay close attention to the twist of the barrel, I guess they can be rather twist sensitive.

BML has a LRH in 6.5x284, so he can tell you more about that. but 6.5's are considered some of the most accurate calibers, and mine shoots 1/4in groups at 100 yds using the berger 140gr VLD's. it is an awesome gun, and you have everything covered from coyotes to elk with it. i have mine set up with a savage 111 action, 27 in. douglas barrel, sss trigger, and a ultimate varmit choate stock. but i am changing the stock cause it is pretty heavy. it cost me about 950, without optics.

I Have two . my brother has two. my son in law just sold his. all remington. krieger barrels. not finicky at all either. either an 8 twist or an 8.5 twist. i believe bml is selling his savage. i have 25-06 for sale you could rebarrel when you are ready. not that much difference between the two.

I've got the LRH but its not for sale. I have a free bore issue with mine. In reality, though, its only an issue because I've been heck bent on getting it to shoot a jacketed or "aggresive" bullet. These types of bullets really like to be up against the lands and I cannot achieve that.

I've moved on and once I get some time I have some other bullets/loads to test. I really like everything about the rifle though. I did take it to a smith and have it bedded and cleaned up the forend a little to make sure the barrel stays fully floated.

With any rifle I always tell people to really think about what they want to achieve with a new gun. You can get great accuracy with many different rifles on the market today. Depending on your needs and shooting limits you could get a great gun/scope combo for $1000.

thanks everyone. I spoke with a gunsmith yesterday, and am going to do as suggested and re-barrel an old .30-06 I don't use anymore. Then continue to customize it as I have means. Glad to hear that those who have them like them.