Sign in to follow this  
AZP&Y

Arizona Trail Section #29 - 31.5 miles

Finally took 5 days to complete another section of the Arizona trail in Northern Arizona last week. A fantastic time to be in the high country of Arizona!

This section of trail starts just past the junction at Happy Jack on State Route 87 and ends up just south of Mormon Lake.

The first night we camped at the trail head and were awoken in the morning by the cackling of Merriams. Then off trekking for the next 4 days , running into almost 50 elk. The trail runs through the heart of 5 B south. NO other encounters with another human being in the 5 days and the cell phone did not work the entire time. Coyotes yuckin it up at sunset! Here are a few pictures of the trip... Go now to the forest as I fear it's early closure in the extremely dry winter of 2006.

http://www.aztrail.org/

http://www.aztrail.org/passages/pass_29.html

AzP&Y

Doug

post-898-1145680152.jpg

post-898-1145680215.jpg

post-898-1145680639.jpg

Yes, Amanda ? I?ve done sections 1, 27, 28 and 29 totaling about 90-100 miles of the trail , I?m one eighth of the way done! :P

Section #1-Huachucas (mexico border) to Parker Canyon Lake

Section 27 ? Pine to the Mogillon Rim

Section 28- Mogillon Rim to Blue Ridge

Section 29- Highway 87 to just south of Mormon Lake.

Each one is very diverse and has offered it?s own unique challenges. I?ve seen an abundance of wildlife on every section and it goes through some incredible echo systems and climate zones. It?s a great way to explore Arizona and something that is free, after you buy all of the gear. Another great feature of the trail is that you can download it into the GPS and it will tell you when you are off course, but most sections are pretty well marked.

A few more pictures from the trail!

Flagstaff 4398 ? I?ll take you up on that offer! ;)

AzP&Y

post-898-1146627011.jpg

post-898-1146627408.jpg

Very cool ;)

Thanks for sharing.