Sign in to follow this  
jonscaife

Unit 10 map

So i drew a late rifle bull hunt in nit 10! Super excited! Heres the deal though, i know nothing about this unit. If anyone wants to give me thier secret spots, i would be more than happy to hear them ;) ........but seriously though, does anyone here know where i can get a good map of the unit? Ive got a map that is pretty good for the national forest portion of the unit but that is a small portion of the unit. Any help would be appreciated !

So i drew a late rifle bull hunt in nit 10! Super excited! Heres the deal though, i know nothing about this unit. If anyone wants to give me thier secret spots, i would be more than happy to hear them ;) ........but seriously though, does anyone here know where i can get a good map of the unit? Ive got a map that is pretty good for the national forest portion of the unit but that is a small portion of the unit. Any help would be appreciated !

My wife has early rifle hunt. i just bought the azgfd unit 10 management map. i hear its pretty good and probably the best. then their are topo maps that u can get on the sections you want.

My wife has early rifle hunt. i just bought the azgfd unit 10 management map. i hear its pretty good and probably the best. then their are topo maps that u can get on the sections you want.

Thanks! That sounds like what i need. Did you get that from the azgfd office? Or can i get that online? Thnx a ton

You also need GPS with maps and the National Forest Map for Unit 10. Some maps show details that others dont. That Unit is very tricky to navigate. When I had that tag I spent over $3000 on fuel and tires scouting and still didnt cover half the unit.

Get a flatline map they're much better than the azgfd map.

You also need GPS with maps and the National Forest Map for Unit 10. Some maps show details that others dont. That Unit is very tricky to navigate. When I had that tag I spent over $3000 on fuel and tires scouting and still didnt cover half the unit.

That's no joke! I only use the AZGFD map but I have crumpled it up out of frustration more than once! 10 is a huge unit, there are big bulls in every corner and in the middle, and scouting it is a pain in the butt, literally! The roads will beat you and your equipment up fast.

My advice, don't spend too much time scouting just 1 or 2 spots, devote a weekend each to all 4 corners of the unit and in the middle. Learn where the high points are and how to access certain areas and spend most of your time scouting from up high behind glasses. Closer to season, narrow the spots down and pick the best spot. Be prepared for serious competition by others, that's what I hate most about 10, lots of competition and it's usually folks that have no regard for anyone other than themself, and usually from somebody that doesn't even have a tag! I think it's the pressure of that tag that brings it out in folks, but I see it more in 10 than anywhere else. Also, we typically find and hunt our late season bulls in the same areas we hunted on the early hunts, they typically don't move far, but there are exceptions. The biggest key to our success on that hunt has been finding bulls away from the "hot spots" and avoiding the competition. There are famous knobs or mountains that you'll hear about that are everyone's "secret spots", and although you may not see anyone there prior to opening day, it doesn't mean you won't see an army of guys crawling all over it on day 1!

Just be prepared and expect the worst, have backup plans, try to figure out where bulls will go when pressured, make sure your truck is dependable with good tires, plan for snow just in case, and leave the quad or ATV at home. Do all this and your in for an incredible hunt! Best of luck! JIM>

Hi Jim,

I was wondering after reading your post how you feel about the pressure during the early rifle hunt? There are 75 permits and the unit is so large. I have never been in 10 myself but i had an archery bull tag in 9 in 2008. Their was 75 permits in that hunt and it felt like i was in New York city. Their were people hunting and scouting for the up coming rifle hunt. Even though we will be in the rifle hunt, i was wondering if i should expect the same. I have to admit i am pretty fired up for her after watching your videos.

Thanks,

Sean

Flatline makes an awesome map that is very detailed, i have a unit 10 archery antelope tag and will be using it.

I have spent a good amount of time in 10 and the map is very accurate!

Jim hit the nail squarely on the head about unit 10!

I will be there helping a buddy on the early rifle hunt!

Most folks try to cover too much country been there done that .

Set your goals realisticly say a nice 350 bull. If you say 400 or nothing your setting your self and

your wife up for disappointment!

Jim hit the nail squarely on the head about unit 10!

I will be there helping a buddy on the early rifle hunt!

Most folks try to cover too much country been there done that .

Set your goals realisticly say a nice 350 bull. If you say 400 or nothing your setting your self and

your wife up for disappointment!

SirRoyal i appreciate the info. Already decided to scout the way Jim says. Our goals are definately realistic. It's her tag and her decision when to shoot. I figure what ever tickles her fancy and she will be happy. Thats all that matters.I just want her to have fun.Of course we all hope there is a 400 bull in our future. I had a archery bull tag in 9 a few years ago. When i 1st got notified i drew that tag i set my goal real high. by the 8th day i had to do a reality check and decided i put to much pressure on myself.All of a sudden i was having fun and didn't matter anymore. I ended up doin pretty good.Gonna go see the unit next week and start learnin. Good luck to your buddy!