Sign in to follow this  
Snapshot

A bad day of flyfishing

That T-shirt pretty well sums it up for me. I suck at flyfishing but I do enjoy it. I love the shirt. I'm heading for the San Juan River after work tomorrow night. An 8 to 9 hour drive and should be there by 8am tuesday morning. There is 12 of us going and we will fish for 5 days. It's a beautiful river with lots of big trout. I'll post when I get back with lots of pictures. Fishing them #22 flies makes it hard for me to tie them on. I still can't believe them trout can see the darn things. There are Rio Grande turkeys along the river and they should be talking up a storm when we are there. It's nice to see them at full strut when your in the water fishing. :)

TJ

THe San Juan is a great river. Lots of good fish. I have fished it a few times. The best time to go is before the lake turns over, and releases the dirty water into the river.

Flyfishing is like Golf. It's expensive, and it takes years to master. I have been flyfishing a long time, and I am pretty good at it. At the ranch I teach guests a little flycasting/fishing on occasion. However, I also have bad days on the water. ;) I learn something new everytime I hit the rivers.

Try a tandem 2 fly rig. A San Juan worm up top with a small midge nypmh off an 18" dropper.Use a strike indicator about 5-6' up from your bottom fly, depending on the depth and speed of the water.

Enjoy your trip. Great time of year to go fishing.

Tightlines my friend!

Here is another setup that I learned in Montana. It can be a deadly combo, especially for bigger fish.

I use a #4 to #6 White Zonker, with a Prince or Pheasant tail nymph in front of it. Give it a twitch or two during your drift.

Even though flyfishing purist's don't really consider it a fly. An orange, or pink, Glo-bug (Yarn Egg pattern)can catch alot of fish during the spring Rainbow spawn. During May/June in Montana I use this pattern on Rainbows when they run up the rivers from the lakes to Spawn. Last year I caught 8 big fish in less than an hour on this pattern. They wouldn't even touch anything else I threw at them.

The San Juan does not support a large Mayfly population. Use a bigger Midge pattern in front of your streamer if need be.

I believe that shirt was made for me. I suck at it but I sure do love it!

TJ Good Luck on your trip. Looking forward to the pictures and stories. I miss NM fishing.