Sign in to follow this  
Santana Outdoors

Hiked East Verde River

The "East Verde Club"

A few weeks ago me and 2 young men hiked the East Verde River from 2 miles west of the Verde River to Doll Baby Ranch, my best guess about 14 miles. My hats off to you guys that wilderness hunt and hike. We did it in 3 days and should have taken at least 4 to enjoy it. We struggled to keep on schedule in the rough terrain. I should have exercised more to get ready but didn't have the time, what a big mistake.

2 miles into the first day I twisted my right ankle on the river bottom rocks. Those rocks are all round and roll. Maybe that's where rock & roll started. So I had to make me a walking stick. By the end of the first day my right knee was hurting from putting most of my weight on it I guess and to top it off I forgot to cut my toe nails. I will loose at least 5 toe nails from that stupid mistake. I made another walking stick the next morning which helped a lot.

We had a water purifier and used a Jet boil to heat up the water for our freeze dried meals at dinner time. I used mainly Wilderness Athlete products for hydrate and recover, meal replacement, snack bars and vitamins. They helped me a lot with energy and muscle fatigue.

3 times we had to leave the river bottom to find a way around the pools. That is a hugh mistake because each time took a lot longer to climb out of the river bottom, up steep hills and then 2 hours later find your self trying to slide on your butt to get back down or climb down cliffs. Next time if I ever do it again I will bring dry bags and just swim the deep spots.

Beautiful country. I wish we had taken at least one more day to really enjoy it and do a little more glassing. Saw some nice deer but not the monsters I hoped to find. Lots of bear, Mt. lion sign and wild cattle. No rattle snakes thank God.

I know guys who could do this with no problem. I feel I did pretty good, I had one young man in front and one that could hardly keep up with me. All in all it was lots of fun but THE hardest hike I have ever done in my life. When we were done I swore I'd never do it again but after a few weeks I now feel someday I will but again, take little more time. Wish we would have taken more photos too.

We now have the honor of saying we did it. I am now in the "East Verde River Club"

Eric

post-4156-0-29404900-1335326756_thumb.jpg

post-4156-0-40151700-1335326765_thumb.jpg

Wow sounds like a trip you love to hate.....love the experience but hate it at the same time. Like suicide hot wings scorching your mouth then cooling it with a cold frosty beer! Thanks for the story and pics. I have been taking about a backpack trip into on of the wilderness areas but it all talks so far...Your story puts things into perspective.

Wow sounds like a trip you love to hate.....love the experience but hate it at the same time. Like suicide hot wings scorching your mouth then cooling it with a cold frosty beer! Thanks for the story and pics. I have been taking about a backpack trip into on of the wilderness areas but it all talks so far...Your story puts things into perspective.